Help ID Romanian flares

Hi guys
I need ID on the items below - I suppose they are spent flares, but that’s all I know.
The longer tubes are aluminium, opened at one end, 26x103 mm
The shorter ones are zinc coated steel, 25x44 mm and fit (barely) inside the larger ones
I also saw the longer tubes with white and yellow paint at the base - or is that the top?
The geometry of the signs was different - if I remember correctly two dots on one and an elongated rectangle on the other, but can’t remember which was for what color.

How do these things work? Which is the case and which is the “projectile” ? What is their designation and origin?
Is there any online reference, description on these and the gun which fires them?
Any help is appreciated

Vic, these are remnants of Romanian 26.5 mm flare gun cartridges.
They are for use with regular 26.5mm/cal.4 flare guns.

The top section (the parts with the color makrs on) of the cartridge is attached to the head section (a very short case) with the rim and the primer. So when fired the whole “case body” makes up for the projectile and is leaving the barrel (the items you see here). The shorter cylinders are the rocket motors which at the end of the buring time is igniting the pyrotechnic composition which makes up for the intended signal.
This system was used in Romania already in WWII and also during the communist times. Right now I am not even sure if these are phased out by now.

The bar shaped and embossed mark on that other item should denote a yellow star.

Here a general scheme of these cartridges:

I see. Thanks for the explanation.
Do the two parts in my photos separate during the flight? Like after the propelling charge in the small part burns out and the colored flare components in the larger tube light up - or do they come down together? I always found them separated on the ground.

I assume this type of flare and pistol is still in service, in December 2015 Romtehnica put on sale over 3600 such pistols in bad condition or needing repairs, see bottom of the list here:
romtehnica.com.ro/wp-content … an-MoD.pdf

Vic, when fired both items do leave the barrel as one unit (the projectile). When fired the primer (#7) is igniting the expelling composition (#6, the lower one) and the propellant composition (#10) and the delay composition (#11) at the same time.
The expelling charge is moving the projectile out of the barrel assisted by the rocket motor. The delay composition is burning while the projectile is on it’s way. After the given time the delay composition is burning through and ignites a small expelling charge (#6, the middle one). When is is ignited it generates gas pressure which is pushing out the rocket engine section which then gets separated and falls away. Simultaneously the upper projectile section gets the second expelling charge ignited (#6, the upper one) and is then expelling the single burning stars (#4) creating the desired signal in the sky.
The burned out rocket motor and the projectile body (the items you are showing) will fall down to the earth then.

[quote=“Vic2015”]

I assume this type of flare and pistol is still in service, in December 2015 Romtehnica put on sale over 3600 such pistols in bad condition or needing repairs, see bottom of the list here:
romtehnica.com.ro/wp-content … an-MoD.pdf[/quote]

Yes, the gun can be still in service. I meant the design of the cartridge could have changed in recent years to the more conventional types as I think I have seen those being offered.