Help Identify 1909 Naval Headstamp - Russian?

Hello all,

We will be perfectly honest here … we signed up for this forum to see if anyone could identify a headstamp for us.

We recently purchased these 2 items at an estate sale and don’t really have much knowledge in ammunition world.

We are hoping that someone can tell us what we have and if they are live or not … if they are live, what should we do with them?

Here is the first item: This one looks Russian to us but what do we know

And here is the other one … is this Twin Cities Ordnance?

Yes, it is a fired (not live) 37mm Hotchkiss Russian Navy round, I think from the looks of it, click here for a similar round discussion viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14928&p=106047#p106047. It was made by Izhorskyi Zavod (Russian Naval Factory). You can remove the projectile (bullet) by holding it tight and twist-turning it away from the cartridge body. I assume you purchased these as an investment. I bought mine for $20 but mine has a wrong bullet (unlike yours, even though it is mighty rusted).

Thanks so much for the speedy response!
Your help is much appreciated.

You say that we can remove the projectile … is this something we should do? Is it dangerous to do that?

We purchased it because it caught our eye. From time to time, we come across military items that we buy … usually not bullets but this one looked really special.

We are interested in selling it but not sure how you sell something like this?

And yes, you are right … it is a little on the rusty side: )

The rust on that steel projectile appears to be relatively recent surface rust, and I would recommend something like Strongarm brand penetrating fluid to clean it lightly with. It wont shine it or hurt the patina of the projectile, and on a piece like that it wont hurt the value. I would just avoid polishing the brass case if you want to maintain an original patina there.

strongarmbrand.com/SitePages/USAGES/

the second one looks to be a Cal 50 Tracer cartridge from Twin Cities Ordnance Plant

cheers
René

Thanks for the good advice … we will check into the product you suggested!

[quote=“DKConfiguration”]The rust on that steel projectile appears to be relatively recent surface rust, and I would recommend something like Strongarm brand penetrating fluid to clean it lightly with. It wont shine it or hurt the patina of the projectile, and on a piece like that it wont hurt the value. I would just avoid polishing the brass case if you want to maintain an original patina there.

strongarmbrand.com/SitePages/USAGES/[/quote]

Rene, Thanks for taking the time to id the other item for us!

[quote=“FlyingDutchman”]the second one looks to be a Cal 50 Tracer cartridge from Twin Cities Ordnance Plant

cheers
René[/quote]

We also would be interested in selling these if anyone is interested.

[quote=“sksvlad”]Yes, it is a fired (not live) 37mm Hotchkiss Russian Navy round, I think from the looks of it
[color=#0000BF]It’s not my kind of subject, but I don’t think It’s a fired case cause the marks on the primer are not looking to be done by a firing pin but more by a tool.
A few years ago, somebody gave me a french 37mm, the primerwas unstrike and finally the case was empty…[/color]

You can remove the projectile (bullet) by holding it tight and twist-turning it away from the cartridge body.
[color=#0000BF]If you can do this just with your hands, OK. But If not, don’t use tools because
you’re going to damage the case[/color]

[color=#0000BF]As I said before, this is not my kind of collecting, I wonder if the bullet are full steel, or there is a charge in the body with a rear fuze?[/color]

[color=#000080]I believe, before doing anything with this case is to compare the weight of it with another one.
Laurent[/color]