help identify 8mm mauser clip

I’ve got that clip and don’t know what the brand means

Could it be “WC”?

For me it is polish clip made by Fabryka Wyrobów Metalowych “Wacław Czajkowski i Spółka”.
I write about this in article “Łódki i ładowniki nabojowe polskiej produkcji w okresie IIRP” in 2014 on pages “Odkrywca”.

obraz

obraz

1 Like
1 Like

Very interesting … thank you.

I have this clip in my “unknown” section, does it match what you know of “W” marked Polish examples ?

Pete

Are you sure it is not “M”?

As a general guide: usually if an M the verticals are parallel & with a W the verticals angle apart

1 Like

Yikes … here comes the pedantic artist in me but this is a thing now largely lost to us, relying as we do on fonts given to us on the computer, in an earlier age folk learned the language of letter design and typesetting rather than our current word-processing de-skilling.

If it was an “M” I’d expect the serifs to be horizontal to the plane of the letter, whilst a “W” would have its serifs at right-angles to the element it was terminating … giving the letter firm foundations to stand upon, rather than standing on tippy-toes. These conventions are tiny things but to those that notice it makes a huge difference to how text looks and to some benighted souls (ahem) it bothers them greatly when they’re not applied.

Pete

1 Like