Help identify this rimfire cartridge

so i posted this on another forum and so far nobody has been able to help, we have narrowed it down that it is not a us manufactured cartridge. i am trying to find out what this cartridge is, what the age is, then hopefully figure out a value for it. thanks in advance, nothing bothers me more than having something and not know what it is, im one of those types of people lol.

measurements in inches

bullet diameter- 0.299 or 0.298

case diameter- 0.343

case length(from bottom of rim to top of the case)- 0.761

overall length(bottom of rim to top of projectile)- 1.185

total weight of the case is 58 grains. the whole cartridge sticks to a magnet.

here are some pictures(the other cartridge pictured is obviously a .22lr for comparison)

I am pretty sure that is a cartridge for a toy gun. I have one just like it I believe (will not know until I get home and check the dimensions.

Zac

For what ever it’s worth I agree 100% with Zac, a toy gun cartridge.

im thinking its some type of european gallery cartridge, i think you can hear powder inside but im running half deaf for the past few weeks (stupid ear tubes) but you guys know much more than I, which is why i am here. the father inlaw gave it to me to research, i know he has some 38 long or short rimfires and just got some .22 shorts but i have no glue if .22 short single are worth anything to collectors(im not a collector neither is he, i have a few cartridges for display but if i was to collect i would want experimental/prototype cartridges)

Agree, it is a toy.

Regards
TonyE

any more information then that? still leaves me puzzles of manufacture date, what it went to. i still bet if you put priming compound and powder in it, it would fire.

opie7afe

Look how thick the rim is when you compare it to other rim fires, a sure sign it is not a rim fire. The rim is crushed to ignite the priming compound. That being a steel case would take a lot of force, much more than brass or copper in real rim fires & why the rim is thinner in them.

Now there are steel cased .22 rim fires, however they show the same rim thickness as do other rim fires & look just like the .22 you show.

What it went into was a toy gun. Perhaps there is a toy gun collectors site that would have the specific information you want?

I have a similar size & shape bright silver-colored all-plastic & it has a LEGO headstamp. Another just like the LEGO has 45 CAL USA as a headstamp. Yes no where near .45 cal.

As to value they are fairly common & perhaps $.50 to $1 should you find someone who needs one. I have three with slight variations to yours.

btw, im an avid shooter so i know how rimfires work and i work with metal a lot. thanks for the help, and i think i found out it went to a hubley colt detective special as the cartridges look the same but maybe shorter, though it could have been the angle of the picture i seen. ah well. wish it was some rare cartridge worth a good bit but just my luck lol. ill be back if i have any other cartridge related questions. though if im wronng on what toy gun it went into im not going to sign up to another forum just to find out(hate forum hopping to find an answer as i hate registering at a forum i will never visit after i get the question answered.

opie7afe,

You are always welcome here on this forum. There is quite often some very interesting reading on this forum if you are interested in guns and ammunition. Of coarse if you ever have any cartridge related questions we will be more then happy to help you with them.

Zac

opie7afe
Please excuse my explaining how rim fires work. We have been know to get 1 degree novices or nubie’s of the 1st order [however you want to look at it] posting questions on the forum, so…

Yeah I know what you mean about signing up for a new forum.

Glad you figured out what it was, as now I can give mine a name!

Hi opie7afe,

These cartridges gets posted on this forum every year or so.

Is is a cartridge for the Mattel Shootin’ Shell Snub-Nose 38 cap gun.

Look on the last entry here: nicholscapguns.com/mattel4.htm (also, the one right above it have a similar look cartridge, but do not “shoot.”)

thanks aaron, thought it was the huber but guess not! glad now we are 100% sure its a dummy cartridge. funny how back in those days toy guns came with metallic cartridges. now cant do that because i guess parents dont watch over their kids so they will eat them lol… though i find it funny they call it a .38 when the projectile is under .30 cal LOL.

i know this is off topic but what are .22 short collector cartridges worth? i have some copper US stamped ones(guessing late 1800’s-early 1900’s is the date on these) have some with a P which im guessing is peters, and some with a raised diamond. i doubt they are worth much, i have around 350 or more of loose ones. shot off two of the US stamped ones and man did they stink! not the pleasant smell of normal .22

also i didn’t mean to come off rude, i know you cant tell if someones a shooter or if they just found a cartridge in their grand-dads things so have to err on the side of they dont know much about ammunition.

You were not at all rude, or anywhere near being rude, nothing wrong with explaining your self & where your coming from, was all I was trying to do, too.

The 22’s you mention my 2¢ as to value would be .10 to .25¢ on the US & those might be later than you think perhaps 1930’s?
The P’s the same prices.

A RAISED DIAMOND ? - totally unknown to me & not in Kass.

So other than the raised diamond, just shooting price, which today is higher than collector value. Save a set for your own collection.

This toy cartridge is a “Mattel All Metal Play Bullet” for Mattel Western and Shootin’ Shell Guns. It was made by Olin Mathieson Chemical Corp. for Mattel Toy Company.