Help identifying a 1945 brass shell casing

Hi,

My son is a huge fan of tanks and we found a 1945 shell casing and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me find out some information about it for him. Such as who was the manufacturer, what sort of gun would shoot it. Sorry my google searches are not coming up with much.

The markings on it are:
25PR
Lot 403
RLB

I will try and post a picture

Thanks in advance,
Cheers
Amy

It is a cartridge case for the 25 pounder gun - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_QF_25-pounder . This case was made by RLB - Royal Ordnance Factory Birtley, Newcastle. The primer, the centre piece, was made by HC - Hercules Cycle Company, it was filled by CY - Royal Ordnance Factory Chorley, Lancashire.

1 Like

While the main use was in a towed field gun configuration, note that the Wiki article does talk about use of the 25 pounder gun in several self propelled guns, and many people include those in the general term of “tanks” so your son may like that bit of history a bit more.

[from Wikipedia]
" In 1941, the British Army improvised a self-propelled 25-pounder named the Bishop, on the chassis of the Valentine tank. This mount proved unsatisfactory and the Bishops were replaced in 1942 by the American M7 Priest, which did not use the 25-Pounder and complicated the supply of ammunition in the field. The Priests were replaced in 1944 by the Sexton, which used the 25-Pounder. The Sexton was designed, and mostly manufactured, in Canada (some two thirds of the ordnance and mountings were imported from the UK due to limited Canadian production capacity) and was the result of mounting a 25-pounder on a Ram or Grizzly tank chassis."

1 Like

And CF means the case was fully charged.

1 Like

Thank you so much! You guys are amazing, I would never have found all that out. Coincidentally there is a howitzer at a local RSA, so we have been able to show him the type of gun that fired it, as well. He is taking the casing to school next week to tell his class all about it.

Thank again

Has that been cleared with the school staff in advance?

In today’s world it would be a shame if someone uninformed over-reacts and calls the authorities. They could possibly confiscate the item. As the parent you could also be the one who ends up in legal trouble.

I collected these type of items myself at school age so know full well how it would feel to lose the case.

[NOTE- the following is in the context of U.S. laws and events, and the situation may differ in other countries, or even parts of the U.S.]
Ammo and schools are a touchy subject.
There is a very real chance that some ignorant teacher or administrator will go totally nuts, and the resulting circus will include police, fire, bomb squad and all the news media in town. Evacuate the school and neighborhood around it “for safety” and they might take the case away somewhere to blow it up (hey, it’s fun and they don’t get to play with their toys much).

You really need to chat with whoever is in charge at the school in advance, and preferably get their written approval, to “bring in a non-explosive empty artillery case as an historic artifact. to be removed at the end of the day.”

It should not be this way, but it is in most American schools these days, and many other countries are probably equally silly. Like Virginia Tech which canceled a traditional blank firing rifle salute in honor of Veterans Day. Like schools that go nuts if someone brings in a toy soldier holding a gun, or chews a cookie into a pistol shape.

History is badly warped, if taught at all, and it has largely been replaced by politically correct nonsense, so younger people and “educators” are easily frightened by unfamiliar stuff.

Thanks for the concern, I am lucky and live in New Zealand, the teachers are pretty level headed about empty shell casing (it’s just brass now after all) and my son did check with his teacher first before asking us.

You guys have been amazing and I can not thank you enough for your help and comments.