Help identifying ammunition please

Good evening.
This is my first post, so I apologise if I have put this in the wrong place.
I am a complete novice, and could do with some help identifying some ammunition. I’ve done a google search, but no joy so far. For background, I found this under the floorboards in a rural house near Amiens in northern France. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks 🙂

I’ve got one with the same head stamp. I think it’s a 8mm Lebel without looking at a horizontal picture.

It’s an 8 m/m Lebel balle D cartridge made by Remington in 1916. The number 3 indicates either the trimester or quadrimester of the year of production. Jack

Welcome Caroline
Jack is correct and to further explain, as you say your a complete novice, Remington is a company in the USA who contracted with the French to make these for the French. The 8mm Lebel was the French main military rifle and has the distinction of being the 1st case type adopted by any military to use only smokeless powder As opposed to Black powder which at the time [1886] everyone else used.

1 Like

Here some basics on the cartridge:

And here some more variants:
http://www.municion.org/8x50r/8x50r.htm

Hi, thank you all so much for taking the time to help me. It is really appreciated 😀
One more question . . . is it safe? I imagine after 102 years it should be (provided I don’t do anything terribly stupid)?
Thanks again.

As long as you do not try to shoot it or handle it in an inappropriate way it should be ok.

Alex, what would happen if this round were to be fired from a gun? I see corrosion signs on the side, and I assume that the powder will not move (sound) when shaken. The primer may be OK but would the powder respond? I never tried firing rounds like that.

No solid info unless one will try.
But with a 102 years old cartridge it is not worth to find out by risking one’s health or ruining a gun.

I guess the primer will be dead.

With the case corrosion I have to wonder if it would even chamber.

Thanks for the info. No worries about not trying to shoot it; I’m a Brit so no guns here 😁

Is it legal to possess ammunition in France (or Great Britain, for that matter) without some kind of permit? If not, that might explain it having been found under the floorboards.

Probably not, to be honest. I should get advice from the Gendarmes. . .
We found several under the floor boards on the first floor, by a window. The window overlooked the fields and forest, and the exterior stone wall had what looked like bullet holes. The building is part of a Chateau that was occupied by the Germans in WW1. This, combined with the fact that the building was undergoing it’s first renovation, lead us to believe that the ammunition had been accidentally dropped.

Perhaps hidden from the Germans to prevent them from knowing the occupants possessed a rifle. Maybe I’ve watched too many war movies, but there could be lots of possible scenarios to explain the cartridges being found where they were.