Help in Dating Ammo Can

Below is a photo of a M2A1 ammo box (can), considered the “new style” (short sides on the lid) produced by S.C.F (Standard Container Company(?) and is stamped S.C.F. on the hinged end of the can. This can is early S.C.F. manufacture since it is not stamped with the last 2 digits of the year of manufacture as found on latter S.C.F. M2A1 cans.

LC 60 -143 is the lot number which is the lot designation established by MIL STD 1168 (in use from 1949 to 1975). LC = Lake City, 60 = interfix number and 143 = serial number of the lot. In 1975 the lot designation format was completely changed with adoption MIL STD 1168A.

The M200 designation for the 5.56x45mm blank was approved in 1968.

So the time range for this can is potentially 1968 to 1975.

Can anyone provide a date for this can based upon the lot designation?

When was the 'new style" M2A1 can by S.C.F. adopted?

Any help, corrections, discussion are appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

The first M200 blank cartridges were made by Lake City in 1973 and the lot number in question dates from 1974 or 1975 (can’t tell which one because I have gaps in my lot number database). Although the lot number designation format was changed in 1975, Lake City continued using the old format and was not changed until 1979.

Regarding the “new style” M2A1 box, it was manufactured since 1974 and was a cost-saving design accomplished through a different manufacturing method. As far as I can tell, the last 2 digits of the year of manufacture were not stamped in M2A1 and M19A1 boxes until 1992.

Regards,

Fede

Fede,

Thank you very much, as always great information.

Brian