Help On 7.62x54r Projectiles

Was told that these are 7.62x54r projectiles and was wondering if anyone can pinpoint country of origin? Thanks Kevin
From left to right:

API, black over red
API, black over purple
APIT, black over red, 3 cannelure
APIT, black over red, 1 cannelure

ZB-46, USSR, for ShKAS MG

All others are hard to tell as they can be copies of the Soviet design.

#2 is black over a dark red that was typical of Soviet production B-32 API, usually ShKas. I have seen 46 mfg code (Sverdlovsk) dated 1945, and 529 mfg code (Lyalya) dated 1943 and 1944.

The colors on #3 and #4 look strange…they are clearly ZB-46 or BZT APIT, but they should have a purple or mauve tip, not black. The few I have seen had a very dark indigo/purple tip…so the photo may just be dark. The three cannelures on #3 is consistent with Soviet ShKas.

Nice sectioned collection!

If these are four of 8 ,(2 sets of 4) you got from me to section, some yrs. ago, they are all PRC (Chinese)from an ambush site on QL 14 between Kontum and Plaque , 2 Corps ,Central High lands, RVN.

Charles. J. Wells (Jack)
SGM USA. Ret.

Interesting. When you say they were PRC, you wouldn’t happen to have headstamp information, would you?

71: 58, 59, 60, ,62 they came out of an SG 43 Belt in 1969, after we had over run an ambush.

Charles. J. Wells (Jack)
SGM. USA. Ret.

The question purportedly concerned country of origin. If the answer was so readily at hand, it was a waste of time to pose this question in the first place.

In Kevin / Wolfgangs defence:

1. I was out of town for the past week, with no way to contact me on the computer me for projectile ID.
    2.My Cell Phone died on me starting out on my trip.
    3.I’m sure Kevin used all resource’s available for the projectile ID.

Charles. J. Wells (Jack)
SGM. USA. Ret.

And you are trying to tell me it was not a waste of time writing this post of yours?

Ole

In my humble opinion the posts by wolfganggross are never a waste of time. Quite the contrary.

Thanks to Jackwells for documenting the origins of these projectiles so well.

In following this thread, I think it is worth noting that Wolfgang’s original post dates back to April of 2014. As usual, it was another impressive display of Kevin’s handiwork and I always look forward to seeing his posts (even if it is an old one)!

Jack Wells,

That is one heck of a provenance you cite, good sir. Not many items come around with such a direct link to hands on history such as that. Thank you for your service and foresight that led to these items being shared on the Forum.

Best Regards,
Dave

Not that it is of significance but I was not aware of Chinese made API-T “ZB-46” (3 grooves).
Are there any more such loads known and what are the headstamps?

bzubel:

I’VE BEEN AROUND FOR A FEW YEARS AND I’VE DISCOVERED THAT THERE IS VERY LITTLE THAT IS A WASTE OF TIME. I HAVE NEARLY NO INTEREST IN THE MAJORITY OF SUBJECT MATTER POSTED ON THIS FORUM AS THE MATERIAL IS NOT IN THE AREA OF MY COLLECTING INTEREST HOWEVER, EVEN THOUGH I’VE BEEN COLLECTING FOR MORE YEARS THAN MOST OF THE COLLECTORS WHO COMMENT ON THE FORUM I’M STILL LEARNING AND READ NEARLY ALL OF THE COMMENTS POSTED AND I REMEMBER THAT, “ONE MANS TRASH IS ANOTHER MANS TREASURE.”