Help to ID Projectile

Not a collector per se but having viewed a few web site must say it is a hobby l had never thought of.
My current interest is in metal detecting and while doing so recently onthe beach at St. Augustine Florida came upon what l believe to be a projectile from a 20 mm canon.
It is magnetic so it is not lead though the very tip (though corroded) may be lead and in the centre of the tip is imbedded a brass? rod that appears to have been inserted into the projectile.
I am researching this for two reasons 1) Is this an exploding head projectile (possibly a dud) and dangerous and 2) curiousity of history of how this came to be on a public beach
I have attached photos for your viewing and wish to thank you all for your time and courtesy.[/url]

[/img]

It certainly appears to be a 20mm projectile. Since it has what appears to be a fuse, ASSUME it’s live. Could be HE(high explosive), Incindiary or some other unpleasant purpose. Tracers burn from the base and this appears to be solid. What you do with it is up to you. I would call the local PD or sheriff and they will be happy to dispose of it properly. The two dissimilar metals of the fuse and casing will corrode rapidly in salt water allowing water to contaminate the charge sometimes rendering them inert. Don’t assume this. I have seen first hand what a 20mm “dud” will do when not treated with respect. I have seen rounds impact water at a very flat angle and not detonate. This very well could have been Naval or CG target pratice, who knows. I would get rid of it properly.IMHO

I will be wanting to dispose of it it a safe maner for sure but l am hoping for a bit of history on this.
Thanks for your reply.

It could be a 20x110mm Hispano projectile from the general proportions and the appearance of the driving band. The fuze was probably made of a zinc based die-cast alloy body with brass innards.

gravelbelly