Help to identify 7.62x45 projectile

OK so I found this cool website - http://www.cdvs.us/default.aspx

I was browsing through and found some 7.62x45 projectiles. Now I’m a VZ-52 freak and I love my “She” rifle and do custom brass so I can shoot this piece of history. I have picked up lots of milsurp ammo over the years to include original brass cased ammo.

The one thing I have never seen is black tip projectiles. All that I have had or still have, are steel core but no paint on the tips. These however, look to be the exact same projectiles with steel core and some are even cupronickel but they all have black tips as shown here - http://www.cdvs.us/762x45-She-Ball-projectiles-100-projectile-pack-P1896.aspx

Naturally I bought all 400 that he had.

Does anyone have official color guides for the 7.62x45 for any of the loading facilities?

thanks in advance,
Michael

I’m afraid I can’t answer your question, but since I used to have one of these rifles myself, I know how hard to find the ammo is. If you need more, there’s some for sale locally (to me) at a gun shop. I can put you in touch with the owner if you like.

-WRM

Thanks WRM, I have enough milsurp. To shoot this rifle I have been diligent about using my small craftsman metal lathe to modify .220 swift cases. I just prefer to load up with the original style 130 gr projectiles.

I just don’t want to shoot any of these 400 I bought until I know what’s inside them ;) I was thinking maybe these came from Egypt?? I Know they bought some of these rifles in the 60s so maybe they considered the steel core as AP and painted the tips themselves . . . but I’m only guessing here.

I wish TonyE was here :( He would know.

Michael

Black tip under the German system would mean tracer, which the bullets in the photo are obviously not.

Black tip under the Soviet system would mean hardened steel core (as in the 7.62x54R B30 cartridge), while the ordinary ball have non-hardened steel cores. In this case bullet weight should be more ore less the same as ordinary ball. Have you weighed a sample (at least 20)?

OK, I weighed them last night. They are more or less the same as standard ball - 129.5 to 131.1

I must also say that even though the black paint looks like it has been on there a long time by looking at scratches and such, the paint also looks like it is not very uniform and somewhat carelessly done. If I look at pictures online of other x45 rounds that are tracer and such, the paint is nice, thin, uniform and not very large of a surface area. So that makes me wonder if someone did this after manufacture.

This weekend I can try to scan some better close-up pictures to post.

Michael

Sorry that this picture is not the clearest but as you can see, the paint is very thick and uneven as far as how it was applied. It also look like they dipped the tips too far into the paint if compared to pictures of factory tracers.

Does anyone think this is original paint on the tips or someone did this after the fact?

Here is a picture I found of some samples of 7.62x45 and the paint on the tips seems so thin and uniform - well done. I wonder if the paint on my samples above was applied by another country after receiving surplus??

Michael, this website offers a lot of “exotic” non-factory loadings in almost every caliber, a fact that they omit to clarify in their descriptions. In my opinion the paint on these bullets is not original and don’t know of any company that may have done this with a real purpose. Regards, Fede.

Glassparman, by what we can see (and know about Czech ammunition) I think the projectiles were painted only after they had left Czechoslovakia - by whom ever.

Thanks guys. That’s what I was thinking because it looked so crudely done. I just needed smart guys like you to confirm.

Michael

All Czechoslovakian military ball samples for long handguns without painting on bullet, had mild steel core. Black tip can indicate (semi) AP type of bullet in countries, where is normal lead core into the bullet.This painting is not original.