Help with German 3,7cm

I don’t know what I have here it’s a German 3,7cm case
headstamp P382 from 1937

regards
gyrojet

Gyro, this is a regular German 37x250R Pak composite case.

EOD , Thanks for that

regards
gyrojet

Is this made in the same manor as the Hotchkiss, patented riveted cases?

Pete, no. The Hotchkiss cases are coiled and riveted as you say. This one here is made of a brass tube with a steel base which has a locking nut inside the case to hold the tapered case body in place.

The holes you see on the head are just spanner holes.

According to the German code list “P382” identifies the Hanseatisches Kettenwerke of Hamburg; their letter code was asr. Jack

Gyrojet,

Interesting case type I had not seen before. Thank you for posting that.

Questions I have on the 3.7mm Pak:

Did this composite case type continue to get used during WWII? Later dates I’ve seen are the all-brass type.
Regarding the example below: What does the “Sprgr” seen in white paint here mean? Does the other obliterated white marking also say something?
Why no date at 3 o’clock and what does the “G” mean?

I know squat about these (my lack of understanding German doesn’t help!) and thanks for any input!

Dave

Sprgr = Sprenggranate (HE shell).

There’s also Pzgr (Panzergranate, AP shell).

Thanks, Schneider!

The other white marking is “FES” for sintered iron driving bands.

The “G” is actually the date, just coded. I do not have the list on hand but this is like 1936.

As you see your shell (the M40) is from 1942, if originally loaded onto this case it was reloaded then.

All the cases on hand were used during WWII as long as they were in stock. The late cases were made of steel.

EOD,

Thank you very much for the information.

Ah! Reloaded case… I should not be so clumsy in assuming all components were made at the same time (and when I see pictures of others with a clear projectile date but no case date shown). I wrongly assumed my case to be of around 1942 vintage as I was ignorant of the date code. I have no idea if my example here has the original projectile as reloaded, but at least the loading marking on the head matches it…I’ve seen pics of other examples with a bunch of markings on the case wall if I remember right, but my case walls got a good harsh scrubbing, likely to get the pond scum off. At least they went easy on the case head!

If I follow right, in general, there was a progression of case types from all-brass to composite to all-steel? That would make more sense as far as material use goes.

Dave

G is 1935. [after I posted this answer I discovered Phil Butler had posted the complete code date list from 1925 on in a separate thread. Which leads me to turn this answer into another question: has anyone on this forum seen any code dates other than K and G (for 1934 and 1935) applied to small arms or small arms ammunition? I’m aware of none.] Jack

Jack - If you want to count 7.9mm box labels as being small arms ammunition, I have seen all the year code letters used with the exception of A (1925), Z (1926) and M (1927).

If there is any interest I can post examples in the German year code thread, sense it’s rather off-topic for this thread.

Phil: Yes, it would be of interest to me. This topic (post-Imperial German military small arms and ammunition) is a long-term interest of mine & one not at all well documented. Jack