Herter Bullet (Sectioned)

When I was a young lad growing up on a farm following WW II, mail-order catalogs were

First post...Herters

Ray: With out a headstamp or a section how did you know it was a Herter’s (box)? Vic

The Herter Wasp-Waist Sonic bullet is listed in the 1971 catalog, page 536, in .224 (SS1A3w) 55 grain SP; 6mm (.243) (SS1A5W) 85 grain SP; .170 (.277)(SS1A17W) 130 grain SP; .30 (.308)(SS1A26W) 150 grain SP); and .30 (.308)(SS1A27W) 180 grain SP-MT.

“MT” stands for “Missile-Tail,” and only refers to the 180 grain .30 bullet. All of the others are flat-base bullets. “Missile-tail” seems to be a “hype” descriptive term for a normal boat-tail.

Vic

As far as I know Herters sold the bullets for handloading only. At least, I’ve never seen a box of Herters ammo with them. I got a couple of cartridges from an old shooter several years ago and he told me what the bullets were. He also gave me a partial box of the 224 Wasp Waist Sonic bullets and one of the 308 flat base Sonics.

The bullets were not very accurate, BTW. But who could resist trying them.

John - As you know, Herters number one seller was Hype. Back then just about every mail-order catalog was full of hype. But, I suppose they still are.

Ray

Herters catalogues were comparable to the Weatherby Guide at the time I thought except they had everything. This included the " Ram Magnum " Herter cartridges with the multiple necks . They even printed their own loading manual to promote this concept and the Nobel powders that they sold then. Their brass was produced by Metalverken in Sweden.

Bob MCoy did a balistics test on the Herter Wasp-Waist Sonic bullet in an older Precision Shooting magazine.

I even learned to handload on Herters press in my mentors basement .

I gave my catalogues away to a friend who acquired a Herters loading set up . I regret this now and have not found a replacement so far.

Sometimes these weird ideas work. Remember the Nosler “Zipedo” .243 75 gr. projectile. They were the first “solid base” Noslers made . The back half was bore diameter with a few driving bands. The lead core was inserted in the front end and this was .243 -groove diameter. I have just one hundred left . They are extremly accurate and explosive . I will post a photo later.

On both these projectiles I have always wondered just how they were formed…

Glenn

[quote=“Glenn”]. . . Sometimes these weird ideas work. Remember the Nosler “Zipedo” .243 75 gr. projectile. They were the first “solid base” Noslers made . The back half was bore diameter with a few driving bands. The lead core was inserted in the front end and this was .243 -groove diameter. I have just one hundred left . They are extremly accurate and explosive . I will post a photo later.

On both these projectiles I have always wondered just how they were formed…Glenn[/quote]

Glenn

Herter’s also sold a Partition Bullet so similar to the Nosler that I wonder how they avoided a lawsuit. Of course, Herters bullet was Micro Precision with a scientifically designed jacket that mushroomed absolutely perfectly everytime . . .

I think the Zipedos were lathe turned, weren’t they? The same way that the original partitioned bullets were.

I assume that the Sonics and Sonic Missle Tails were swadged. I’m not sure exactly how they made the Wasp Waist in swadging dies. But they were Model Perfect, that’s for dang sure.

Ray

Nosler .243 caliber “Zipedo” -the first "solid base "projectile .

I will section one later. The early bullets had fewer driving bands .
I need a few hundred more if any one has some to sell -I have 85 left now.

The picture is straight -your screen is slanted…

Glenn

Glenn

The change was made in 1967. The earliest driving bands were also a lot narrower often resulting in damage to them when the bullet was seated in a tight neck.

I’ve got to get one of them for my collection. How can we sneak one across the border?

And you’re right. I put a book of matches under the corner of my monitor and everything is OK now. :) :)

Ray

Ray - Just wait until Keith goes to a match -then you will get a goodie box . I have a few of the first version also if I can find them …

Glenn