Hildebrand ammo 30-06

WOW ! HILDEBRAND - YOU MUST BE OVER 100 YEARS OLD !

Well, as old as I am, I should have a good excuse for being the horse’s behind that I sometimes am.

It’s obvious whose collection that box should be in. I can’t make out the first initial, is it ‘G’ or ‘C’, and what function he was responsible for (W?D? BY ? HILDEBRAND)

Guy, is your family related to that type of ammunition’s history? Just currious.

Jason

Jason,
I am not aware of any family connection to Frankford Arsenal, or any other ammunition maker. This was certainly a surprise to me.

Still very cool! Maybe you are a long lost aire :-)

I COLLECT 06,03 AND 01 AMMO DATED 1906 AND EARLIER. THIS IS A SEALED BOX AND ALTHOUGH IT IS DATED 1910 THE CONTENTS MAY BE REWORKED 03 OR 06 CASES OF EARLIER DATES. I AM GOING TO START LISTING SOME OF MY EARLY 06 AND 03 BLANKS AND BOXES INCLUDING THIS ONE ON AUCTIONARMS THIS WEEK.

THE EXPERTS DO NOT KNOW WHAT “WOD” MEANS BUT HAVE SUGGESTED " “WORK ORDER -?” - (MAYBE ,DIRECTED).

IT LOOKS LIKE A " WOD " IS A STEP UP FROM THE PACKER WHO IS ALSO NAMED.

1910 ON 30-03(06) BLANK BOX OVERLABEL.

s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg24 … lmon-1.jpg

s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg24 … lmon-2.jpg

s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg24 … lmon-3.jpg

s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg24 … lmon-4.jpg

s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg24 … d-06-3.jpg

s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg24 … d-06-1.jpg

s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg24 … d-06-2.jpg

Awesome pics! What do they mean by “Dangerous With-In 50 Feet”? The box of ammo its self is not dangerous? The ammo fired from a gun is most likely lethal past 50 feet? Probably a dumb question :-)

APSFDS – the box that says “Dangerous within 20 Feet” is for blank ammunition. They are describing the danger zone for the muzzle flash and probably a paper over-powder wad. They would not be lethal at distances past 50 yards, nor probably for much distance under that. However, if fired at extremely close range, a .30-06 blank can certainly be lethal.

Thanks John. I zoned out on the fact they were blanks, duh :-) I think Bruce Lee’s son, Brandon, passed away from a movie prop gun with blanks?

I recall an incident, and it may have been Brandon Lee, but I am not sure, of an actor killed with a blank, but it was a somewhat different situation. The revolver had been loaded with dummy rounds, probably made up by the prop room or supplier, although they could have been factroy - I simply don’t know. The dummy rounds are for front -on shots where the bullet can be seen in the various chambers of the cylinder on a revolver. When the prop man unloaded the dummies and substituted blanks, a bullet stuck in the throat of the chamber of the cylinder and was extracted from the case, being left there in the throat. I would say the revolver probably was very dirty with much carbon buildup for this to happen. The prop man did not make a visual check of the chambers before loading the blanks. The blank then became, basically, a live round and when fired, killed the actor.

Again, I don’t know if this is the Brandon Lee incident or not. I am not a movie goer and actor’s names don’t stay with me for over a few minutes.
I read this account either in a newspaper or some other journal as I recall, and not a gun magazine. I assume it was true, as the scenario regretably makes sense, although a prop man should never be that careless!

There are several versions of how Brandon Lee was killed but they all involve one common ingredient - stupidity. I believe that the official version is that the prop crew took real ammo, pulled the bullets, dumped the powder, and then reseated the bullets for the front-view scenes. The hammer was dropped on one of those rounds and the primer lighting was enough to lodge the bullet in the barrel. When the revolver was reloaded with the “noise” blanks no one noticed the bullet missing from the case or in the barrel.

There are stupid ways to get hurt and there are stupid people. Combine the two and you have a distaster.

Ray

True, but sad! Blanks can kill, big time! I guess that is one reason for that bold label on CSAEOD’s original box picture.

Jason
PS: “If you only concentrate on the finger, you miss all of heavenly glory”, BRUCE LEE

During a night exersize before going over seas an “agressor” as they were called at that time surprised a trainee in a trench. The trainee fired a 30-06 blank at about 6 or 8 feet. At the end of exercise the next morning they brought the “wounded” agressor to show us what a blank wad would do. He had a black, blue and red mark about 2 inches in diameter just below his collar bone!

Gourd