History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition, V.III

There have been several questions posted regarding the status of “Volume III.” I’m working with the authors; Frank Hackley, Bill Woodin, and Gene Scranton on Volume III’s graphics and editing, and Frank asked me to pass this along to Forum users.

“There are 20 chapters covering U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition from 1946 through 1977 (in some cases this is extended into the 1980’s to complete the coverage of some types), 4 Appendices and Glossary. The completed draft will probably print-out at over 550 pages including over 900 drawings and 150 box-label photographs. The Foreword is written by Thomas F. Cosgrove, who started his government career in 1947 assigned to OCO Small Arms Division and remained as the Small Arms representative for the U.S. Army in Wash.,D.C. until his retirement in 1987.The Appendices, includes a complete a List of Manufacturers, Model (M&XM) Numbers, Test (T) Numbers and Frankford Arsenal Test (FAT) Numbers. At present, we are planning on publishing Vol. III in 2012. What remains to be done is to put the manuscript in final format including editing, complete about 50 drawings, find a publisher or self-publish and get it printed. Because of the page count, there is a possibility that Vol. III may have to published in two parts, but this has not been decided as yet.”

Believe me, the authors are as anxious to get Volume III in your hands as you are to have it, and are working hard to make that happen soon while still maintaining the quality of Vols I and II. From what I’ve seen so far, the wait will be well worth it. BTW, the book’s coverage ending date of 1977 coincides with Frankford Arsenal’s closing date in the same year.

All that being said, can a pre-order list be generated for those of us who have been anxiously awaiting this (these) book (s) for a while. I’m sure that there are at least a few hundred who would like to be put on such a waiting list and would even pony up a few ducats just to guarantee that we get a copy (ies) when it (they) come out. Respects, Bruce.

Ditto. I’d be glad to front the cost of a copy in anticipation of it’s being published.

AKMS

If Mel is handling the editing work, we can be assured of a top quality product, as proven by his superb work on his “Gyrojets and other MBA Ordnance.” Of course, given the credentials of the authors, the editor is a mere housekeeper to tidy up the superb info they bring to the table.

Dean Thomas did a good job with part of HWS. If he is not interested, than Mowbray Publications may be another viable option.

Only to 1977?

Hmm. Don’t want to seem impatient, but when’s Volume IV scheduled? ;-)

Tony, perhaps the esteemed authors of HWS are about burned out after getting from 1880 to 1977.

Perhaps it will fall to a younger generation to carry the story forward?

Punnett, Carpenter, Wlliams and Fuchs has a nice sound… and would give us new people to bug about progress.

Seriously, someone should start now on VOL IV, if HWS decide they don’t want to continue…

I’m really excited to hear how close it is to being published. If you have seen the new assault rifle book by G.P. Johnston and T.B. Nelson, you’ll clearly note that Ironside Publishing doesn’t have an issue with book size.

I will gladly put up my money in advance.
Zac

[quote=“JohnS”]Tony, perhaps the esteemed authors of HWS are about burned out after getting from 1880 to 1977.

Perhaps it will fall to a younger generation to carry the story forward?

Punnett, Carpenter, Wlliams and Fuchs has a nice sound… and would give us new people to bug about progress.[/quote]
You flatter me John - both by including me in the “younger generation” (I’m retired!) and by suggesting that I could contribute anything worthwhile to such a book. I like taking a broad view of a field, linking ammo to guns, rather than the kind of in-depth examination of individual rounds which makes the HWS books such marvellous references.