HMS Victory and HMS Warrior ammunition

The brochures that were collected from these and other visited points of interest are in a bag in a box somewhere that I cannot locate. I doubt they would be so informative as to detail the assorted munitions from the respective warship. So, I could use some mil-spec nomenclature to title the pics I have been organizing into albums. I equate this chore to plumbing and roofing, which is why it’s taken me over a year to get around to it.
Any and all ID info is greatly appreciated.
Here’s what I need notes on:

EUREKA!!! The timing out thing didn’t kick in.

The rifles are Pattern 1858 Naval rifles cal .577".

In the one photo (with the cutaway cannon) you have some “grape” (the leather and string), bar (the dumbbell), chain (obviously), and sliding bar shot.
Grape was used like a shotgun, primarily against personal, while the others were used to tear down/damage the sail rigging

How does the sliding bar work?

Excellent ! What caliber are the shells ?

I believe the sliding bar would work like the dumbbell. Since it can slide to a smaller length it can be shorter to put into the cannon then centrifugal force would open it up to it’s full length. The purpose of these and the ball&chains and dumbbells were to disable the rigging (ropes and spars) by breaking them, thus crippling the ship from sailing away and escaping. Shooting holes in the sails would have very little effect on a ship and easily repaired after a battle. But, breaking off a mast could be devastating hundreds of miles from land. They usually carried spare spars and rigging. Ball&chains were also useful for “sweeping” off masses of boarders.

Ref: C.S. Forrester’s “Hornblower” series (read as a kid)

Yes the rigging was the main target in the early stages of battle to disable the ship. Ball and shell would smash the hull but in most engagements the real motive was to capture the enemy’s ship rather than sink it.

I’m 99% sure they are repros. The picture is on HMS Warrior about 100 miles from where I live.

Here’s the rigging that would be turned asunder by the chained balls.

Hey Vince

How’s about stopping by over there and doing some measurements? :-)

HMS Victory’s armament varied over it career but at the time of Trafalger she had 104 guns:
Lower gun deck 30 32 pounders (long)
Middle gun deck 28 24 pounders (long)
Upper gun deck 30 12 pounders (long)
Quarter deck 12 12 Pounders (short)
Forecastle 2 12 pounders (medium) and
2 64 pounder carronades

More on armament here:
http://www.hms-victory.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=88

Lots of info on the ammo, including charge weights and making of the bag charges here:
http://www.hms-victory.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=89

Why didn’t I think of looking there?!?!? Thank you, Mr. Spangler.