Holes in .30-06 fluted dummies

Why some years have holes and some don’t? Cartridges are placed in the same progression as the headstamps. The 1st cartridge is “FA 1 12”.

read my article on US dummies in the IAA journal 😎

1 Like

I have an old IAA DVD from 1955 to 2000. Which year was your article?
P.S, One more reason to get to SLICS.

Aren’t you a member?
tsk! tsk!

Yes, but I get up at 6am come home at 6pm (maybe) and work (on call) every other weekend. Sometimes I have to skip gun shows I like because they are on the weekends. Going to gym at 9pm allows me 1-2 hours a day, which are mostly consumed by my cars requiring fixing. So I have no life.

Well that’s the best excuse I’ve heard in a Looooog time, so your forgiven. I’ll look up the issue for you tomorrow morning.

See you next month?

Pete, thanks for help. I’ll be in Miami next month, but I hope to see you in person in St.Louis.

Here you go
US-Dummy1.pdf (250.5 KB)

Rene, thank you very much. Chris Punnett wrote about a range dummy. He said it was used by range instructors to catch soldiers flinching during firing at a range. Would you have a good picture of it?

here’s a quick snap of some Vlad
06%20range%20dummies

1 Like

Thanks, Pete. So these were factory manufactured? Also, isn’t it normal to flinch a bit hearing a very loud popping sound? I knew a Korean vet, Marty, who told me that the hearing disappeared during the actual battle. I asked him about hearing protection, and he said that the fear of Chinese artillery barrage landing on top of him cut off his hearing. He was in a front line mortar platoon. But training range fire is quite different.

I believe the range training folk had these made, as I don’t think arsenal made as such, but they all have a dummy / inert primer so no pop or bang when struck, just a flinch if you were expecting recoil.

all these are FA headstamped & dates are, 21-R, 21, 30, “31.”, 36, & 37

1 Like

Is it possible they were drilled to ship by mail by someone after they were produced?

Vlad: Flinching means jerking the trigger in anticipation of the recoil and noise. It’s a habit fatal to accurate high power rifle shooting. Jack

1 Like

Ah, yes, a different type of flinch. Thanks for setting me straight.

AmmoOne - The holes are original to the .30-06 fluted dummy rounds that have them. They have been discussed in several sources before, although perhaps not on the forum. The rounds in question were not drilled by individuals for mailing. There would be no need to, since they are fluted, inert cartridges anyway.

John Moss

Pete- The “Range Dummy” was arsenal made.
HWS Volme 1 pages 165-166 discuss them.

Frankford Arsenal was tasked with making some in 1920 and this resulted in the “Caliber .30 Range Dummy Cartridge Model of 1921” and made from second class components with no powder, and a slot for visual identification. Since these were to be mixed with live ammo and were intended to not be easy for the shooter to detect, the slot is pretty subtle.
HWS shows a box label for these.

In 1926 after the caliber .30 M1 ball cartridge replaced the Model 1906, a new range dummy, also made using second class components was adotped as “Caliber .30 Range Dummy Cartridge M1.” These were classified limited standard in 1939.

1 Like

The preparation of non-issue range dummies was prohibited by the War Department in 1921. However, there was an instruction published in 1925 with procedures for making cartridges to cause stoppages -when training with the Browning Automatic Rifle-. One was a file-cutted case to simulate a separated case, another was a shoulder deformed case to simulate a bulged cartridge, and the third was a case with a filed rim to cause an extraction failure. It reminds me of the Danish Fejlpatron series made specifically for this purpose.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Thanks for the correction John
I knew I should have looked before I spoke.

Here are two pictures of boxes for Range Dummies I have in my collection
The top one is dated Dec. 26, 1923 and the other is filled with range dummies Dating from 1927 to 1936