Hollywood dummies

A year or so ago, I aquired a number of 9 mm Para dummy cartridges named “Hollywood dummies”. They all have some sort of plastic bullets, and are “loaded” in Starline 9 mm +P brass cases without any primer.

What exactly is the name “Hollywood dummies” referring to?

I also have Three similar dummies, “loaded” in nickeled cases headstamped (from left): ‘SPEER 9 mm LUGER’, ‘FC 9MM +P+’ and ‘FC 9MM LUGER’.

Are these three also “Hollywood dummies”?

A set of similar dummies are made of casted plastic.

Who made those, and for what purpose?

morten

Hi Morten, these were marketed as SFX Ammunition for “movie props, theater, custom displays, trade shows, training, weapons function testing and more!” and made by an individual named George Fisher since about 2010. It seems that they are not longer offered for sale.

Some of these have specific designations; I can search them if you are interested. Regards, Fede

Morten,

I think Ronald van der Pluym brought quite a load of these over to Europe.
Maybe he can tell you were he got them. My 30-06’s all have FC 30-06 SPRG headstamps

cheers
René

Here in the U.S.A., “Hollywood Dummies” has a completely different meaning.

Interesting cartridges. I did not know that these things existed. I’ve probably seen them at gunshows and simply passed them by. Are they collectable (money wise)?

Ray

I think I paid something like one or two euro’s a piece.
So no big $$$. I just thought I needed to have some.
I think Ronald had even more Colors available

René

Yes, Rene, I got them from Ronald. You bought the .30-06, I bought the 9mmP; there were also .50 BMG and other calibers. Lew has had bins full of projectiles in all colours from what I believe must be the same production. I just don’t understand what their use is. But I paid 50 Euros for a plastic bag full of them, you probably paid the same amount; that could be a reason in itself…:-)

And yes, Fede, I would be interested in their designations.

morten

I know this company and the owner. I suspect these were made as much for collectors as they were for any cinematic use. There would be no need in movies for so many different colors and types. I know he has sold some for theatrical use, but suspect that he sold more to collectors.

I have 45 variations of these in 9 x 18 mm Makarov alone, in my collection. The owner was originally connected with the website Makrov.com, so that is not too surprising. He made many, many auto pistol calibers, with many variations in each, right up to .50 Action Express. I think in my whole collection there or a couple of hundred variations in various calibers, or perhaps even more. I don’t recall how many I bought from him.

There were some made in all-plastic, but not in nearly every caliber. They didn’t work out so well, I think.

I know I do not have all the auto pistol variations he made, much less any rifle calibers, other than .30 Carbine whilch I collect because of the two auto pistols made for that caliber.

Yeah, I think he hooked a few collectors with them. I have about 60-65 different 7.62 Tokarev variations of them.

I have also had a number of dealings with George Fisher. He is a nice guy who ran a plastic molding operation (a one man operation as I understand). I believe he got some requests for inert ammo for the stage and wound up making his movie replica cartridges. He listed these seperately and as far as I know, these all have brown or gray or black bullets that look a bit like GM or lead or CN and some of these have color tips. I have/had quite a selection of these going up to .50 BMG including some interesting tip colors.

He also began making bullets in all colors of plastic just to show his range of stuff, and that is when I think the Collectors found him.

He would make anything you wanted. He even made plastic replica hand grenades that were hollow for a Zombie movie. The idea was to dump the chemicals from a light stick into them so they glowed in the dark. he did some similar stuff for other movies

Some people contacted him with other ideas and he did lots of work on .45-.50 plastic bullets with lead or copper or steel shot in the tip. He was doing this kind of development on his own nickel to get something the customer wanted, and he got stiffed by a number of his customers and just got out of the business about a year or so ago.

About that time he called me and offered me all his left over junk, and I bought it. Turns out it was a fair size box totally filled with bullets, etc including 5 of his prototype grenades for the Zombie movie. I passed on the last of these at the recent ECRA meeting in Holland as well as most of the bullets which I sold by the plastic bag full. I think I have made my money back, and have a few bullets left. About 25% are the brown/gray/black and the rest are a rainbow of colors. Below is a random handful.

Cheers.
Lew

Lew - He offered the brass-case, plastic bullet dummies to collectors before he attempted to make the all plastic rounds. I know he thought he would have a good market with the Theatrical Industry, but think he sold more of these to collectors. You are correct, George is a nice guy, and I wish I could have corresponded more with him on Makarovs. He is very knowledgeable about them but he seemed to have somewhat lost interest. I miss talking to him on the phone. He was working on a Makarov book as well, but gave up on it. I guess he is out of business now. I didn’t realize he “made on demand” ctgs. I haven’t tried his website for awhile. Everyone said these would never be collectable, but I think they have become that already. The few dupes I had were snapped up at one our little local meetings. Truthfully, I gave them away but only to those who asked to buy them, so being free wasn’t the incentive to get them from me.

Morten, the one with red/white tip represents a NGA Sentry and the one with red/light blue tip a M939 subcaliber round.

Posted at request of John Moss…

Proof positive that cartridge collectors are insane!

Lew

John’s Comment:

[quote]SFX 9 x 18 mm dummy rounds. Although hard to see in every case, these are all different for bullet “type”, color, etc.
There were probably more.
[/quote]

Lew & John, thanks for the picture. Now I want to see a picture of 60-65 different 7.62 Tokarev!

How does a color-blind collector sort and catalog his??? On second thought, that is a dumb question. The answer is - “What difference does it make!”

Ray - simple - I don’t catalog them at all. That makes me no longer a cartridge collector, but just an ignorant old accumulator. I am surprised that my son, a California Peace Officer, has not committed me to the authorities for 72 hours observation, in which case they would probably put me in one of those funny jackets with long sleeves, and throw me in the little padded room.

I used to catalog my cartridges meticulously, but quit “for just awhile” about six years ago because I had some other time-consuming obligations in my life, and never went back to it.

I envy and admire you guys who have everything catalogued and classified in detail. You are the true collectors and students, and I mean that sincerely.

John,
I do try to catalog my cartridges. I keep them in plastic shoe boxes until I get to them. Am now working on SLICS 2009.

On these SFX dummies, I just have the replica’s (there is even a replica KTW) and then the general bullet styles in a set of representative colors. Most are put away in a plastic bag-too many with too little significance to take up drawer space.
Cheers,
Lew

Here are my 7.62x25’s. My count was a little off, just 53 variations pictured here, and one other I can’t currently locate. The missing one is a copy of the Chinese long-bullet subsonic load.

Jon, thanks a lot for the picture.

Here some in .50 BMG. All have CBC brasses.

some .223 / 5.56 with a clear one on the extreme left.