Home Guard .303 Dummy

Shown below ids a .303 dummy likely made at unit level by a British home guard regiment in WW2. It has an empty bullet jacket for bullet, 2 pairs of opposite holes in the case, and a red wooden rod inside. No headstamp or primer cap. Was this made from a brand new case that didn’t pass quality control?

If made as you say, at unit level, it’s most likely from a fired case. Check the primer pocket for any darkening, and the rim for extractor and ejector marks. Also, the neck crimp has a very rough look to it, an attempt to solidly close a fire-blown case mouth.

The primer pocket is not darkened. It is very hard to tell for extractor marks etc. as this thing is pretty beat up from being cycled hundreds of times in weapon drills. I do not know of any unheadstamped .303 bulleted rounds being issued in the UK.

Hi Falcon et al - this is a factory made Drill cartridge - ‘Cartridge Small Arm Drill .303 inch Mark IX’ officially adopted Nov 1943. Sometimes made with headstamped rounds - but often w/o hst (headstamps during WW2 were usually applied at the filling factory not by the case-maker whose initials usually appear at the bottom interior of the case). Biggest maker of these Drill ctgs was Parker Arms Limited - a trading subsidiary of Parker-Hale Limited. Components supplied to Parker by case & bullet manufacturers, e.g. Kynoch, Royal Laboratory etc. PS cases can have 4 holes or flutes. JP-C

I didn’t realise these were factory made, I was under the impression there were so many different variations because they were made by the units themselves. I also have two FA .30-06 cases with early '30s dates made into dummies in a similar style, although I removed the remains of the wooden rod bullets becuase they had been snapped off at the neck. I am still looking for the right kind of wood and something to dye it with to make replacements, or is that just not worth it?

The .30-06 is a Drill D Mark IV interduced in 1943. It is made from reclaimed Lend-Lease cases from the U.S. and can have virtually any U.S. headstamp from the mis 1920’s to the mid 1940’s. As with the .303 in your other post, most of them were made by Parker-Hale.They are fairly common here in the U.S. and I would think even more common in England.

I have seen a few around, but like to try to use what I have if i have a damaged round. The headstamps on the cases I have are “F A 30” anf “F A 33”. I also have quite a few other lend-lease .30-06 cases with various RA headstamps.