Hornady Critical-Duty 10mm - Cabelas

Another Cabelas exclusive involving a Hornady product, this time the 10mm auto from the new “Critical Duty” line which Hornady offers for law enforcement or enhanced self-defense use. Until now Hornady only had 9x19, 9x19 +P, .40S&W, and .45acp in the Duty lineup. Hornady’s new-products for 2014 promo on their website does make mention of a .357sig in Critical Duty that is coming soon, but no mention of this exclusive 10mm load for Cabelas.

The bullet is the same 175gr used in the .40S&W Duty load, and the headstamp on this load is the same as the 10mm Critical Defense version which was also a Cabelas exclusive when it first came out a few years ago. In the photo you can see the older Critical Defense on the left, and the Critical Duty on the right with the slightly larger projectile. It, like all Critical Duty loads, has the “H” stamped into the larger flex tip at the bullet tip.

I was chatting with a rep at Hornady about this just a couple weeks ago.

I am always glad to see new ammo, esp. new 10mm ammo…but if the load does not take advantage of the 10mm’s slightly expanded range/velocity envelope then it’s sad to me. Same projo, same velocity range as the .40SW product.

As far as I know, the CD bullets are not available as components and may not be for a long while; I’d be interested to see how they perform at 1200+fps.

I may be reading this wrong but are the velocities quoted on the box; muzzle: 1050fps, 50 yards: 1052fps and 100 yards: 981fps? If so, how does the bullet gain 2fps in the first 50 yds?

gravelbelly

Thanks, Dave…

I was going to ask the same thing…sort of relates to the thread about horizontal firing and dropping, etc.

We will await the answer…

Randy

Dave,
if you only would follow the marketing publications of U.S. manufacturers more closely, you would accept that for them everything is possible.

For a certified sceptic like me, a printing error comes to mind. It could be simply garbled, but 1025 fps is still too high in my view. A realistic value would be around 1015 fps, provided the other two figures are correct.

[quote=“Mwinter”]I
I am always glad to see new ammo, esp. new 10mm ammo…but if the load does not take advantage of the 10mm’s slightly expanded range/velocity envelope then it’s sad to me. Same projo, same velocity range as the .40SW product.[/quote]

10mm ammo production seems to have polarised into two groups: the original “hot” loads, and the “cool” loads which are similar to .40 S&W. I agree that there seems to be no real point in the latter, you might as well buy a .40 S&W pistol and enjoy a wider choice of guns and ammo.

I have seen these at Cabela’s but always passed on them because I don’t intend to use 10mm for defense. Now I may have to go get a box or two. What I can’t find is 9mm CD.

BTW, this my first post.

Hello zzzippper, welcome to the forum. 10mm is not the first choice for many in terms of self-defense carry due to the typical size & weight of the guns, but they are fine home defense, or vehicle carry guns. As mentioned, the .40S&W has more or less supplanted it due to being available in so many popular gun models which tend to have higher magazine capacities and more available accessories. There are also many more self-defense loads produced in that caliber to choose from. For Knock-down power however, and for having a slightly higher mag capacity than most .45acp guns, the original full-strength 10mm auto loads are good.

If you can’t find the original 9mm Critical Defense or newer 9mm Critical Duty loads, then you might try the Zombie-Max loads, which sound silly, but are the same as Critical Defense albeit with a yellow/green nose plug instead of red.

Speaking of full power 10mm auto - I just saw this new video posted from the 2014 SHOT show going on presently in Las Vegas. It features a rep from Federal explaining their new full power 10mm rd which goes 1275fps with a “trophy bonded bullet” which seems to perform similar to their HST bullet:

http://video.huntingclub.com/video/Federal-Premium-Ammunition-10mm