Very nice Mayhem.
I started out using an access data base but I embedded the pictures rather than hyper linked them. Which when I first started was great but what I soon found out was that as I really got into collecting I ran out of space (I reached the maximum file size) so had to go back and reduce the file size of the pictures.
Again this worked for a while but it wasn’t very long before I had reached the limit again. I struggled to get past 600 records per data base, even with the reduced quality pictures. So I started a second data base, and then a third, then a forth, etc. which soon became unmanageable as you had to open and search each data base to find anything.
As I only (in theory) collect shotgun cartridges you can see the layout I used. I did find that a third side view field was required on some cartridges so I did another data base with an added picture field for Side View 3.
I did do a few more trial data bases, one with hyper link fields for pictures, one with pre default boxes, etc. etc. but never settled to a format that suited what I wanted.
As I have close to 30,000 pictures now the thought of starting fresh is rather daunting :)…
I have found that from the days of hyper linking I do still file my pictures in a predefined folder system, i.e. All pictures have a standard file naming system; Head Stamp View, Side View 1, Over Shot Card etc. all filed by folder and then subfolders for bore sizes. Also I give them a very descriptive title. Like; head stamp detail, gunmaker, trade name, etc. so for Side View 1 in the above would be for example; "Nobel’s No 8 Ballistite Eley Nobel’s Sporting Ballistite Side View 1"
So I have now settled on opening the base folder and just searching that with as many details/names that “maybe” contained within the picture file title, this can be increased or reduced to suit what you are looking for.
I would be interested to see where you go with your data base.