How do you guys organize your collections?

I guess mine has gotten big enough to require something more than fishing lure boxes.

My system isn’t too much better than yours I’m afraid. I pack my smaller-caliber items in 20-round plastic MTM cases, and then I pack those cases in either 50 caliber or 20mm ammo cans. I’ve also used coin envelopes in the past but I find that the plastic cases are easier to deal with when I’m looking for a specific round.

I wrap larger-caliber items in the thin polyethylene foam that is often used as packing material, and then I store those loose in ammo cans.

In theory my collection database is set up so that I can assign an id number to each box or can and then note the id number where each cartridge is located. In practice I just stick a note on the outside of each can listing a broad description of what’s inside.

It depends on what “big enough” is, how much space you have, whether you want quick access or long term storage, how much you want to spend, etc.

Me? I like the plastic storage trays used for medical samples. Each one will hold up to 30 cartridges, you can stack 100 of them on one simple book case, the cartridges are easily accessible, and they can be organized any which way you want. That’s 3000 cartridges on one small book case that takes up no more than 1’ x 3" of floor space.

Big stuff (artillery), cartons, boxes, and long term storage are nuther things altogether.

Your #1 job is organizing, numbering and cataloging. Otherwise you’ll spend the rest of your life moving them around from one space to another and you’ll die with no real system and your wife or significant other will toss the entire mess into the burn pit (which is something I’ve thought about doing regardless).

Ray

Where do you buy the medical sample trays, Ray?

Chip

I was afraid someone would ask me that because I really can’t remember. It was a supply company in CA and I had to buy a minimum of 2 gross but I don’t recall the name of the company, the city, or the price. I seem to remember that it was Vlad who gave me the phone number, so maybe he remembers??

Maybe there is a medical supply in Phoenix who carries stuff like that?

Sorry I can’t help more.

P.S. That photo was taken 7 years ago so it’s been at least that long.

Ray

If anyone can provide information on the trays Ray shows in his post above it would be greatly appreciated. I’ve done a preliminary search on the internet and so far I have been unable to find anything that matches the trays Ray uses.

Thanks

Brian

I finally found a promising search term. Searching on “ampoule tray” led to some vaguely similar items like this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Ampoule-Tray-Vial-Tray_113884197.html

The trays in the image are a bit too small to verify that they match what Ray has. The minimum order is also 10,000 pieces.

I’ll keep searching later this evening, but at least this seems to be on the right track.

Twoaz,

I also saw the ampoule trays but I’m afraid they may not work for rifle cartridges. Have to see one in person to tell and I don’t need 10,000 of them (that would be one monster collection).

Another search term that seems to come close is “clamshell parts tray”. One company had a very small picture of a covered tray for computer chips but it was very long and maybe only 2 to 3 inches wide.

Brian

VOILA !!! HERE IT IS

Vendor: All-Pack, Inc, Anenheim,CA, the USA
Product code:HMS-99958
Phone: (714) 974-5639
Contact person: Gary Lindsey
150 trays/case; $90 per case.

This is over 7 years old so don’t get your hopes too high.

Ray

There wre two sizes:

8" x 9" with 24 compartments

10" x 10" with 28 compartments

You might try going to your local hospital and asking to talk to someone in the supply department. The trays that some hypodermic syringes come in (usually 10 per tray) are a throwaway item for them. Maybe you could ask them if they could save them for you.

Starting with the basics, a collection needs to be organized in a way you can relate to it because as it grows items cross over, so if by country, or use, or case type pick a way that when you come across something new you will know where to find it. Keep it simple. I keep all of one case type together but separate the different uses or countries of origin by putting them together. so if its a German 30-06 blank I know where to go to find it.

Ok I know the above wasn’t what you were exactly asking, but …

Storage I use the empty factory 50-or 20-size plastic holders from boxes to store upright rounds that the headstamp is important (revolver & pistol case types or 5.56x45 ball rounds). I keep those in metal file drawers. Either blue-print type or slightly deeper IBM card or such, For rounds that the profile is important, I use cabinets with shallow trays, like blue-print or old cardex files which you will need to remove the guts before you line them with corrugated paper.

Both of these types of cabinets can be found, but might take some work on your part to locate. Ask & have the person in charge hold your business card & notify you if anything like these comes. Check auction houses, business supply stores, antique & junk shops, places going out of business.

Hope this is of help.

I think Ray’s medical trays are ideal for my purposes. I went and looked at the 40x30 flat files and they were just too big for my area. I don’t have a man room dedicated to my hobbies.

Something like this, but bigger would be cool
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/drawers?productId=10000332&N=62561

I’ve just returned from the local Container Store with 2 of the 5 drawer units. Original plan was to get a10 drawer unit to try out but I decided the 5 drawer units would give more flexibility in the long run I’ll post photos once I have few drawers organized.

NATO Dave

[quote=“NATODave”]I’ve just returned from the local Container Store with 2 of the 5 drawer units. Original plan was to get a10 drawer unit to try out but I decided the 5 drawer units would give more flexibility in the long run I’ll post photos once I have few drawers organized.

NATO Dave[/quote]

Cool. I’ll probably head over there after work and take a look too.

What do you guys use for that the cardboard dividers?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30&p=58&hilit=storage#p58

It’s called Berlin packaging but is still in business, with the same guy.

Vendor: All-Pack, Inc, Anenheim,CA, the USA
Product code:HMS-99958
Phone: (714) 974-5639
Contact person: Gary Lindsey
150 trays/case; $90 per case.

Since some of us do not have the availability of these types of stores close, I will share my method. I have purchased the 1" or 13/4" flambou,or plano boxes designed with movable partitions, they stack at least 10 high and a marker can be used to number and identify each partition which can hold up to 4 cartridges each.

Bought one of the small 5 drawer and a roll of ridged plastic mat. Seems like it will work great.