How do you remove lacquer from old case

I have an old lip fire case that is painted with either lacquer or shellac. Is there a safe way to remove it ?
Thanks, Bob

hello
you can try aceton
work well to remove varnish
but don’t use on rounds with painted tip or colored sealant

lacquer thinner.
Use in a well ventilated area dump some on a rag, hold the rag or paper towel around the case & let it soak into the lacquer & wipe it off. Properly dispose of the rag / paper towel knowing it is a flammable item. and Wash your hands. You might also want to use gloves. The remaining lacquer thinner after it has been wiped off with a clean rag / paper towel should evaporate from the case and not be harmful to the case or lead.

Some folks used a plastic sealant when it was the fad to lacquer items in their collection. Whatever that material is about the only way I’ve found to be rid of it is to scrape it off. So if it doesn’t come off with lac. thinner I’d just look for another to replace it & put it in my trade, or junk box.

As ammogun notes anything with a color tip or color anywhere the color can be quickly removed, so be very careful.

ammogun and Pete
Thanks for the information. I’ll give it a try. Bob

I have had good results from leaving the lacquered round submerged in paint thinners overnight.

The downside is that it would also remove coloured tip markings and sealants from a cartridge, although this shouldn’t be an issue with a lipfire round.

hello
never leave a round submerged in liquid (paint thinner or other)
the liquid penetrate easily inside and react with powder to create strange mixture ,would be corrosive especially on steel case

i made test with bad shaped rounds and most had liquid inside after one night

What if the case was supposed to be lacquered???

Well if an original lipfire I’d think it was not an original salesmans sample as I doubt any of those exist, if there were any in the first place. Back then the salesman probably grabbed a prodiction box off the shelf or pulled out his gun & emptied it to show a round to the prospective buyer. Not very PC in todays world…

BUT you do make an excelletnt point.

I should add back in the 1960’s & earlier, it was sort of standard for collectors to polish and lacquer so as a result there are quite a few rounds in collections that have this treatment. As a result of tryng to make an old thing look new, a lot of rounds lost annealing color, annulus color or other tell-marks. By removing this old lacquer time will dull the polish & it will start to have some of it’s color back.

For a time Winchester used to buff their board dummy examples so hard there was hardly any headstamp left. So now one way you can tell if the dummy is correct is if it has a good headstamp. But it demends on the era of the round in question as some are correct with a good headstamp.

That is a good point. I am used to dealing with inerted rounds or empty cases.