How NOT to collect and mark ammo!

1 Like

Vandalism.

You would want to be 100% sure of your identification. I cannot count how many times I had a round that I thought was one thing only to find out that it was something else completely.

4 Likes

Definitely
If you really need ID, use sharpie, or something that wipes off in case of a mistake in the ID

2 Likes

hello
even ink pen shouldn’t use on cartridges case ,it can damage the lacquer or even the brass
honestly never write on a cartridge ,but use an external identification system

4 Likes

Put the special ones in a plastic tube

1 Like

For that you need and ‘engraver eraser’ tool - quite hard to find, uh huh.

2 Likes

Savage - While it might be a touch overkill, there is such a tool. They’re called “grinders”. They give better results on plate 1/4" or more thick! (Disclaimer - please, guys, don’t even consider taking me seriously) :-)

1 Like

Yes, stencils are also no option! :-)

1 Like

Since 40+ years I mark my cartridges with ink, using a permanent marker. It can, even after such a long time, be removed with aceton, and without any trace. Of course with care for the lacquer.

hello
warning because you can “view” the damage in sun light
i don’t had material for taking good pictures but i had in the past some cartridges with indesirated marking even “removed” with aceton
even with aceton the marking is permanent

1 Like

Many times, the ink used in marking pens, and especially old India ink, will, over time, react with the cartridge case metal and even after the black ink is removed, a “ghost” of the writing remains. Attached is a picture of a .577/450 Martini-Henry cartridge with the remnants of “W R A Co” on the case. Hard to see but in the center of the case just above the rim.
577-4500001

Randy

1 Like

hello
yes it exactly that i would talk