Howitzer 92mm shell - 1914 casting

I bought this shell and while i understand a lot of trench art was done by locals to sell to tourists, i’m having my doubts that this is a commercial job due to a couple of things…

• unfinished panel. Wouldn’t they have completed the entire thing before selling?
• American Indian. Second infantry was doing a lot of training in France at the time and would have had the time away from enemy lines to etch.
• folk art style. The artistic quality and style is not high end. It doesn’t look like something you’d buy.

Can anyone help me figure out more about this casing from the markings on the bottom? Or have any input about the artwork?

I’m new so i’ll have to reply with additional photos.

20181105_150854

1 Like

20181106_113841

Can you show us the headstamp please?

Yep. I tried replying immediately but was on a newbie hold.

1 Like

This one was made in Germany then. What is the exact rim diameter?

This is trench art, a souvenir of the battle for Verdun at Tranchee de Calonne. Apologies for lack of accent on e.

1 Like

125mm across the bottom

Your case should be for the light field howitzer M1898/09.

I agree with John, this is typical trench art. Hand made engraving.

1 Like

The gun:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cc/cc05.htm

1 Like

Thank you for the information! I can’t seem to pt this one down this week. Thinking that someone was etching it 100 years ago about this time.

Well, etching was no technology back then and think today it also would not be done as the material likely would corrode. But here I know too little to make a propper statement.
Your case was worked with physical tools powered by hand, likely a sharp edged engraving tool or chisel. Depends much on what a soldier got his hands on to do this.

Here some examples on the possible varieties:
https://www.google.de/search?q=trenchart+case&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij3ryoscLeAhWiM-wKHYedA6gQ_AUIDygC&biw=1920&bih=959

Thank you, i definitely used the wrong term there.

Etching, as in imprinting patterns onto metal, was refined in the 1600s, and in the 1700s a lot of the great works with etched patterns were made.
While I agree that this is mechanical engraving, rather than one using acid, the technology was in fact there!

You pick up useless tidbits when you give substitute art history lessons…

Ole

2 Likes

On the head stamp, at about 3 and 9 oclock there are these small circles with what looks to be flames coming out of them on three sides. Any idea what they mean? 20181107_085631

This is the company logo of that factory (later known as “DWM”). Known as “flaming bomb”.
It goes back to the days of muzzle loading artillery where shells had fuzes which were powder delay types (then called fuses - like black powder fuse today as the principle is the same) and got ignited upon firing and emitting a flame and some smoke.

2 Likes

Thank you, you’ve been super helpful!

SOUVENIR DES TRANCHÉES DE

souvenir of the trenches of

What trenches? Thank you

Hans

FRANCE.

Sorry the picture cut off

[quote=“JohnKindred, post:7, topic:30581”]
Tranchee de Calonne
[/quote] I think it would read.