Hstp id

• 12 - IMI - 12 - IMI

Thanks
jp

I think that can Israeli Military Industries, Tel aviv, Israel.
Rgards

If it’s a shotshell it could be ELEY, because in 1978 ELEY became a subsidiary to IMI Plc.

Thanks.
But what is IMI Plc ???

JP

IMI=Israeli Military Industries
PLC=Public Limited Company, similar to Inc., a financial term.

[quote=“sksvlad”]IMI=Israeli Military Industries
PLC=Public Limited Company, similar to Inc., a financial term.[/quote]

!!!

Eley is a subsidiary of IMI ??? !!!

Are you kidding ??

jp

I have some shotshells with the I.M.I. headstamp,and they are italian,not Israelian or English.I couldn’t say what IMI stands for but they are headstamped

I.M.I. 12 VIGEVANO 12

This can be the acronym of a small italian factory now out of businness because the case,altough a plastic one is about 30 years old

I have also some Garand clips with the IMI mark,and they are italian altough the whole name and the location of the factory is unknown

In this case, I believe the IMI is for Imperial Metal Industries, connected to the British ICI.

Thank you !

What is the story of Eley been bought by IMI ???

JP

According to C.W.Harding’s excellent book “Eley Cartridges” ICI sold Eley to IMI (another british company) in 1978, in 1987 Eley purchased Hawk Best Ltd. and changed name to Eley Hawk and last in 2002 Eley Hawk was sold to a Spanish company: UEE cartucheria Deportiva, SA.

It has nothing to do with Israel Militaries Industries.

Thanks

Not bought by Israel but by Spain (Uni

I actually think that PIVI guess is right, these shotshells are italian, and in no case from Israel.

Philippe

This ctge is from Imperial Metal Industries.

And about UEE it is true.
I checked and even double checked.
Eley has been bought by Uni

[quote=“jean-pierre”]This ctge is from Imperial Metal Industries.

And about UEE it is true.
I checked and even double checked.
Eley has been bought by Uni

Eley’s 2008 catalog, reading it all, indicates tha tthe ammunition is still made in England, at a factory near Birmingham. I assume that is the facility in sutton Coldfield, West Midlands. Of course, the catalog only shows .22 Rimfire, as Eley catalogs have for years. Eley Ltd. is a subsidiary company of IMI pic., still, according to their 2008 catalog.

1. no no no
    For over 100 years Eley shotgun ammunition was manufactured at the historical IMI site at Witton, Birmingham under the IMI group banner. In 2002 Eley shotgun ammunition was purchased by the UEE group, one of Europe

Do you believe it now Gravelbelly ??

And because nobody replied it means everybody is sure Winchester is american.

Hum.

JP

[quote=“jean-pierre”]Do you believe it now Gravelbelly ??

And because nobody replied it means everybody is sure Winchester is american.

Hum.

JP[/quote]

The website link that you posted, for EleyHawk, only mentions shotgun ammunition, not rimfire .22". I will have to look for a similar link but to Eley Tenex or something similar.

gravelbelly

J-P, If your answer was to my posting about the catalogs, you can say No, No, No all you want but it doesn’t change what I posted. I was answering Gravelbelly’s inquiry about Eley .22 Ammunition, and the information I gave is from the Company’s own catalog, the Company being “Eley Ltd.” and had little or nothing to do with shotgun ammunition production.

Shotgun ammunition is no longer cataloged or manufactured by Eley, Ltd. It is catalogued and manufactured by Eley Hawk Ltd., which according to name, must be corporately a different company. I would assume that there must be some ties between Eley Ltd., which as of 2008 is still a subsidiary company of IMI pic., and Eley Hawk Ltd, which is owned by UEE. due to the apparent factory location for both.

As you quoted from the Eley Hawk website (the exact same wording is also in the Eley Hawk c. 2004 catalog), I will quote regarding location from the Eley Ltd. 2008 catalog dealing only with .22 ammunition:

“Eley’s reputation has developed from an uncomprimising approach to quallity, and continues at the modern tecnologically advanced production facility in Sutton Coldfield, UK…” Whether they still use the previous factory I do not know. The site at Minworth, Sutton Codfield is only 8 miles north of Witton. There was no mention of the production of shotgun amunition at Sutton Coldfield in the above catalog, but of course, Eley Hawk produces there, as we know. It is clear the two companies are separate entities, even if working under the same roof, which again, I am not sure of. Eley Hawk’s catalog indicates “In 2002 Eley SHOTGUN AMMUNITION was purchase by UEE group…” There is no mention of the rimfire ammunition, which remained with Eley Ltd., IMI pic.

We need input here from some of the British guys like Martin Golland or the two “Tonys,” or John P-C.

By the way, the shotgun ammunition made by Eley Haw is evidently not “totally British.” I quote their catalog:

“All the components which are purchased by Eley from a number of European sources must also meet the standard of Eley quaity assurance department.”

Regarding your comment on Winchester, it has been, for some time, an international ammunition company. I don’t wish to look up all the branches operating under the Winchester name, but of course there is/was (am not up to the minute on the world of shotshells and rimfires) Winchester Australia. Further, Winchester has chosen to have certain metric calibers, and at least one batch of .45 auto ammunition, produced in the Czech Republic at Sellier & Bellot. There may be other things produced there for Winchester. The bulk of their ammunition is made in the U.S.A. I suspect the foreign-made calibers have to do with competative pricing and perhaps that the factory in America is very occupied with military contracts. Again, I do not stay atuned to shotgun and RF ammunition in which I have little personal interest, although all ammunition interests me in the general sense. Regardless, Winchester is, basically, an American company owned by Olin Industries. To think otherwise is simply wrong. Many companies all over the world have foreign plants and subsidiaries. That does not change the national identity of the parent company, especially when a good portion of their product is produced in the home country.

That the ammunition “landscape” is changing rapidly throughout the world is without challenge or question. Who knows, perhaps some day, RUAG will own it all!

The Winchester identity for ammunition is not to be confused with the same name on Firearms. When Olin split off the firearms part of Winchester, the U.S. Repeating Arms Company was formed, with permission to stamp the winchester name on guns granted by Olin. It remained the U.S.R.A. Company until about 1007When the name was changed to BA Corporation, Winchester Rifles and Shotguns (also seen as Winchester Rifles and Shotguns, BACO Inc.). In 2008, the firm became again “Winchester Repeating Arms.” I do not know the agreement that gave them permission to use this company name again, the name previously and perhaps still be owned by Olin. Winchester in recent years has had guns made in America, Japan, Belgium-assembled in Portugal and Russia.

Hi John

1. The topic started with shotshell IMI hstp

Someone gave the info :
According to C.W.Harding’s excellent book “Eley Cartridges” ICI sold Eley to IMI (another british company) in 1978, in 1987 Eley purchased Hawk Best Ltd. and changed name to Eley Hawk and last in 2002 Eley Hawk was sold to a Spanish company: UEE cartucheria Deportiva, SA.

I checked it, it is right.

Then another one asked if it was the same about Eley Rim Fire ctges.
And you talked about them.
I said no no no because of that.

1. The fact a big company like Eley was bought was very surprising me.
    Even if only the shotshells division is bought !
    Because in the old times Eley was more famous because of shotshells than for RF ctges, wan’t it ?
    They can say whatever they want about “Eley quality assurance department”, and bla bla bla, the fact is : no more British.

2. I don’t know if Eley is still manufacturing centerfire ctges or if this also was bought by somebody.
    It would be interesting to know.

3. I was talking about Winchester guns.
    After being US, it was French then Belgian and I don’t know what it is now (US again you said).

Most of the people abroad (and in the US also I think) know Winchester name more for the guns than for the ammo.
This also is an hudge desaster for me.

1. The fact some mythical companies closed (SFM for example) is very sad.
    But it is worse when you see some countries have lost some of the companies which have been so important in their history or for the image the people have of the country.

And I am not talking only about ammunition companies.
What was England for people ? Rolls Royce, Jaguar.
What is USA for people now ? Mac Donald, Microsoft for exemple

Could you imagine one day Mac Donald to be Chinese and Microsoft Indian?

(:
JP