Humble pie with a taste of lead

I have had my share of rations of humble pie along the way. I remember this particular one because at the time I was not so young as to know it all.

A guy gave me a 9 parabellum cartridge with a lead bullet and Sellier & Bellot headstamp. My lightning fast opinion as an “expert” was that it was a reload because no self-respecting factory loaded such caliber with lead bullets.

Well, the guy had a full box and later gave it to me. Here it is.

I don’t know how old it is, but it says Czech Republic so it’s post-1993.

Cheers,

Schneider.

Don’t feel bad about not thinking that was factory. Lots of people don’t know that auto pistol calibers have been made in Europe with lead bullets.

I was involved in researching ammunition used in a double homocide case in New Zealand some years ago.
It was a gangland style-execution killing, very rare in that part of the world. The NZ Police were puzzled by the Geco .32 auto *7.65 Browning) ammunition used because the bullets were lead, not jacketed. I was able to provide catalog pictures and price list entries showing the load was a factory load. My information fot to them in a timely manner - their request for information from the factory was not answered until the trial was over.

I have a number of factory-oroginal, lead bullet 9 mm Para in my collection, and I would bet Lew has many, many more than do I.

Schneider, I recognize the taste! The only good thing is that humble pie is not fattening.

I have the identical load and headstamp in my collection, but mine lacks the red primer seal. I have the load in a different headstamp (lacking the two symbols) but with the red seal!!! There is no end.

It is nice to have the box label image.

There are a surprising number of loads in 9mm made with lead bullets by large factories. Sometimes the bullet is coated with teflon or something else to reduce leading, particularly in the US. Sometimes they are special loads, like in South Africa where some proof loads use lead bullets. An interesting area.

Does anyone know how to read the box date code “1144”???

Cheers,

Lew

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Don’t feel bad about not thinking that was factory. Lots of people don’t know that auto pistol calibers have been made in Europe with lead bullets.

I was involved in researching ammunition used in a double homocide case in New Zealand some years ago.
It was a gangland style-execution killing, very rare in that part of the world. The NZ Police were puzzled by the Geco .32 auto *7.65 Browning) ammunition used because the bullets were lead, not jacketed. I was able to provide catalog pictures and price list entries showing the load was a factory load. My information fot to them in a timely manner - their request for information from the factory was not answered until the trial was over.

I have a number of factory-oroginal, lead bullet 9 mm Para in my collection, and I would bet Lew has many, many more than do I.[/quote]

I’ve bought Geco lead bullet ammo for my .32 Auto when I was still allowed to own it. lead bullet auto loads were popular over here because a lot of indoor ranges were licenced for lead bullets only.