Hungarian 5.56mm NATO cases

Hi there,

Yesterday I got these two 5.56mm NATO cases.
Both of them were made in Bakony Muvek, Hungary in 1989.

Best regard,

Mihaly

Jó estét Mihály,

boxer or Berdan primer?

Hans

I knew the brass case but have never seen a steel one. Thanks for sharing.

Do you know anything about the unusual head stamp or the background of these? 1989 is quite early for this caliber in Hungary no?

Is 5.56x45 made in Hungary today? I haven’t heard of so far and would be curious to hear about.

Guten Abend, Hans,

Both of them are supplied with boxer primer.

EOD,
V 9 = Veszprem 1989. Unfortunately I have not been able to find out that for whom Bakony Muvek made these 5.56 mm NATO cartridges so far. From Hungarian manufacturer this is the only known 5.56mm NATO cartridge. Unfortunately I have never seen its box. It is supposed to be a 25 pcs paper box without label.

Mihaly

I have these 5,56x45 cartridges and box
headstamp 04 88
Are these cartidges used by the military ( EOD???)

regards
gyrojet

Gyro, these were for the Wieger assault rifle (basically a pimped AK) made in the GDR for export right before it collapsed. Definately military.

Gyroject,

I don’t know if the DDR military ever actually trained at all with 5.56 NATO-caliber rifles, but I recall that when the reunification of Germany occured, their were articles about the amount of arms and ammunition that were found in DDR warehouses, including LOTS of 5.56 x 45 caliber forms of the AK-74. It could be that they were preparing for some export orders. That was an interesting time, and a lot was found out about the workings of the arms industry, not just by the DDR but also in other countries. Lots of juicy scandals about who was supplying who with weapons. The stuff movies are made about and books written about. Surprised none of them ever turned into anything like that. Just a few magazine articles, mostly in the German press.

[quote=“mihalytoth”]Guten Abend, Hans,

EOD,
V 9 = Veszprem 1989. Unfortunately I have not been able to find out that for whom Bakony Muvek made these 5.56 mm NATO cartridges so far. From Hungarian manufacturer this is the only known 5.56mm NATO cartridge. Unfortunately I have never seen its box. It is supposed to be a 25 pcs paper box without label.

Mihaly[/quote]

Mihaly, thanks a lot!
So the 7.62x39 is still the standard caliber in Hungary today? According to the latest “MFS” head stamps it looks much like.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Gyroject,

I don’t know if the DDR military ever actually trained at all with 5.56 NATO-caliber rifles, but I recall that when the reunification of Germany occured, their were articles about the amount of arms and ammunition that were found in DDR warehouses, including LOTS of 5.56 x 45 caliber forms of the AK-74. It could be that they were preparing for some export orders. That was an interesting time, and a lot was found out about the workings of the arms industry, not just by the DDR but also in other countries. Lots of juicy scandals about who was supplying who with weapons. The stuff movies are made about and books written about. Surprised none of them ever turned into anything like that. Just a few magazine articles, mostly in the German press.[/quote]

John, you are right, there were quite some embarassing moments for Hirtenberger/Austria.
West-Germany at that time was also denounced when they found that the GDR had at least one G11 rifle and ammo and a life Roland AA missile.

Thanks for the info guy’s…

gyrojet

EOD - I was also thinking of the huge Scandal involving a “spymaster” from STASI, and several Western Countries involvement, in clandestine sales of ammunition of both sides in the Iran-Iraq
War. A lot of red faces with that one. Even the Government of the DDR did not know the full extent of it until the Ammunition Factory’s management complained that due to the quantities of ammunition they were being “required” to sell to the parties of that conflict, they were unable to met NVA military requirements for reserve stocks of ammunition. Somewhere in my files I have an interesting article from a German Magazine on that. When the government got the complaints from factory managers, their basic response was “what in hell are you talking about?”

You are also correct about the Austrian/Fritz Werner situation, although I think that the Werner company was exonerated in the end, weren’t they? I never say any followup on the case, but only heard about it.

John, the little I know is mostly from first hand sources and of course close to nothing.

I wish I knew much more on the arms export of the GDR since there are so many items and countries involved. I am very curious to see what got exported to whom and in what quantity.

I almost forgot Fritz Werner, note that this was a government owned business and only right now I figure why none such documents from the GDR’s past are showing up. I assume they would cause too many uncomfortable questions for our corrupt government.

The Iran-Iraq war situation seems just the same as with the UK. Apparently during the 1st Gulf war, the British army was short of combat clothing as it was being sold to Iraq a few years earlier. Also the “water pipes” made by a British firm that was bought out by Iraq. These were actually parts of Saddam’s “super gun”, which is another interesting story in itself.

Falcon, yes, and the engineer who developed it payed a high price for doing so.

[quote=“EOD”][quote=“mihalytoth”]Guten Abend, Hans,

EOD,

Mihaly[/quote]

Mihaly, thanks a lot!
So the 7.62x39 is still the standard caliber in Hungary today? According to the latest “MFS” head stamps it looks much like.[/quote]

EOD,

yes, the 7.62x39 is still in use in Hungary.

Best regards,

Mihaly