Hungarian 7.62x54R - info on nomenclature

I would like to know your opinion on the meaning of the nomenclature of some Hungarian 7.62x54R cartridges.

On the boxes the “LPS” and “DPS” cartridges are named, respectively, “LPSZ” and “DPSZ”.

I would like to know what the “Z” stand for.

Futhermore, the “D” cartridges (not DPS) are named as “S”. What the “S” stand for?

Thanks in advance

[quote=“alb87”]… On the boxes the “LPS” and “DPS” cartridges are named, respectively, “LPSZ” and “DPSZ”.

I would like to know what the “Z” stand for…[/quote]
alb87,

I have no reply to contribute but my sneaking suspicion, that you cannot interpret the Z alone, because possibly S needs the Z for proper spelling. A bit like S needs in English the h to pronounce Sh. For the English speaker the Hungarian
-S is pronounced Sh
-SZ is pronounced S
-sombat (Saturday) is pronounced shombat
-szeget (nail) is pronounced seget

Hans

Pretty much the opposite of what you would expect in English. Like the Italian “C” and “Ch”:

ci - “There, here” in Italian. Pronounced in Italian “Chi” as in English “Cheetos” (I guess I’m ready for a snack right now.)

Chi - “who” in Italian, pronounced as is “Key” in English.

All this makes figuring out some of these ammo abbreviations somewhat difficult without a knowledge of the language they are in.

Another great asset of the Forum! People who as q group speak about all of Earth’s major languages.

Thanks for the tips.

No other infos are available on these codenames?

Regards

The “Z” should indicate a laquered steel case if you mean this.

EOD,

Thank you.
I know the difference between the “GSZ” and “GZS” cases, but on ammo containers the ammos are listed as (example) “LPSZ gzs” or “DPSZ gsz” etc.

Is it possible that the Z after LPS or DPS is an additional indication of the bullet steel core?

Futhermore, what are the reference words for “gzs” and “gsz”?

Thanks

Getting a bit confusing for me so I took a look at examples of each cartridge designation and associated cartridge:

Hungarian 1969 spam can marked “L GZS”, lead core light ball, copper clad steel case: 7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo009.htm

Hungarian 1987 spam can marked “LPSZ GSZ”, steel core light ball, lacquered steel cartridge case: 7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo004.htm

Hungarian 1951 spam can, lead core heavy ball, copper clad steel case. Spam can does not show the type D heavy ball designation or case material designation as seen in later years: 7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo008.htm

Hungarian 1970 spam can marked “DPSZ GZS”, steel core heavy ball, copper clad steel case: 7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo007.htm

Hungarian 1975 crate marked “"DPSZ GSZ”, steel core heavy ball, lacquered steel cartridge case: 7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo006.htm

Brian