Hungarian 7.62x54R - Spam can lid info

A friend gave me a 20 round box of 7.62x54R manufactured by MFS in 1984. I was wondering is anyone can provide me with any details regarding the load and the markings on the ‘spam can’ lid.

Thanks,
Darren

Hi Darren,

This ammunition was manufactured by Bakony Művek in Veszprém, not MFS in Sirok. “LPSZ” is the equivalent to “LPS” (ЛПС) and “GSZ” is the equivalent to “gs” (гс). “25” is the lot number, “84” is the year of manufacture, “21” is the factory code. Regarding the powder, “VT” is the type, “3” is the lot number, “84” is the year of manufacture, and “51” is the factory code (Nitrokémia Ipartelepek).

Regards,

Fede

hello
i just would add a little warning about these
the exterior is very nice but the internal could be sadly corroded
i unload some of 21 84 and 21 87 and all are well corroded inside

7,62 LPSZ is ЛПС (Легкой Пуля Стальной > Legkoy Pulya Stal’noi > Russian > “Light Bullet [with] Steel [Penetrator]”), a Semi-Armor-Piercing bullet. gsz / гс is the type of cartridge case (Гильза Стальной > Gil’za Stalnoi > Russian > “[lacquered] steel case”). Hungary was one of the few countries in the Warsaw Pact with a Latinate alphabet, but they had to mark ammunition with the same letter codes. SZ stands for “Sz”, the Hungarian version of “S”.

25-84-21 stands for Lot 25 of year 1984 made by Factory 21 (Hungarian > Bakony Muvek > “Bakony [Regional] Factory”) - Vezprem City, Bakony district, Transdanubia region, Hungary.

VT 3/84 51 stands for VT powder, Batch 3 of year 1984 by Factory 51 (Nitrokémia Vegyipari Zrt. > “Nitrochemistry Chemicals, Ltd.”) - Balatonfűzfő, Transdanubia, Hungary.

440 db DB or db stands for Darabok (Hungarian > “Pieces”), the number of cartridges per spam can. There are 20 rounds per carton, 22 cartons per can (440 rounds), and 2 cans per crate (880 rounds).

Thank you all for your responses. I went with MFS, as the IAA headstamp page listed this as using factory code 21. Thank you for the correction, I will add Bakony Művek to my list.

its 880 pieces per crate…you stated :
" 440 db DB or db stands for Darabok (“Pieces”), the number of cartridges per spam can. There are 22 cartons per can (440 rounds) and 2 cans per crate (800 rounds).
A mis-speller obviously…you can correct it, in your post…
And the letters on the box are, as you knew, hungarian…so you can only say, as Fede already wrote, they are EQUIVALENT to russian.

The manufacturer is Nitrokémia Ipartelepek, not Nitrokémia Vegyipari.

Ipartelepek means “Industrial Park” in Hungarian.
Nitrokemia changed it to Nitrokemia Vegyipari in the 1990s when they expanded their products to cover organic chemicals, paint, pesticides, solvents, and so on.
It has a much longer name nowadays (c.2006):
Nitrokemia Kornyezetvedelmi Tanacsado es Szolgaltato (“Nitrochemicals Environmental Consulting and Services”) They mainly do environmental protection and cleanup services now. I don’t think they make explosives and propellants anymore.
https://www.emis.com/php/company-profile/HU/Nitrokemia_Zrt_en_1441243.html

“Nitrokémia Ipartelepek Rt.” is the full and correct company name of the factory at the time when the powder for these cartridges was manufactured (1984). The preferred English language name used by this company at that time was “Nitrokemia Industrial Plants Ltd.”, but sometimes it was also translated as “Works” instead of “Plants” (always in plural, because Ipartelepek is the plural form of Ipartelep). Nitrokémia Vegyipari did not existed until 1993.

Manufacture continues until this day at the Balatonfűzfő plant.

Regards,

Fede

It’s been an error for a long time. An admin shoud correct it.
Hungarian SAA factories of the WAPA era are as follows:
#21: Bakony Művek, Veszprém (successor of Magyar Lőszerművek (intertwined “LM” found on wartime 8x56R and 9x25))
#22 Andezit Művek, Jobbágyi (closed down in the early 60’s)
#23 Mátravidéki Fémművek, Sirok
#25 Hajdúsági Iparművek, Hajdúhadház

Vince

2 Likes

Their company profile said Nitrokemia were focused on environmental clean up services and were getting away from making toxic chemicals at their site. (Their factory site used to be a major toxic “brown field” that was close to a lake). I thought that would mean eliminating explosives and propellant production. If they are making explosives like you say (and I’m not saying I’m doubting that), they are doing it a lot cleaner than they used to do under communism.

These are translations of the different Magyar (Hungarian) terms
-művek = Works or Factory.
fémműművek = Metal Works.
iparművek = Industrial Works.
lószerművek = Horse Works - makes tack and harness (saddle and bridle) for horses.
Löszermuvek: = Ammunition Works.

Korlátolt Felelõsségû Társaság (Kft.): “Limited Liability Company” (LLC).
Zártkörûen Mûködõ Részvénytársaság (Zrt.): “Private Limited Company” (Ltd.).

Hajdúsági: A historical and cultural region in Hungary. The Hadju were a group of nomad cattle-drovers, merchants and bodyguards that dwelled in the region. The Hungarians hired them as irregular troops to fight the Austrians and the Turks. The Hadju families received a collective nobility (like Prussian Junkers).

But the Nitrokémia factory you are looking at is the successor of Vegyipari and not the one that manufactures propellants for ammunition. Since they inherited the waste dump, they transformed themselves into an enviromental clean up facility.

Where do Nitrokemia make propellants now? Did Factory 51 and Nitrokemia have different sites?

Sidney,
ó indeed looks a bit like ö, but they are not the same ;-)
Lószermüvek seems to translate to “Horse Works”, but I guess you meant Löszermüvek “Ammunition Works”.

I thought I implied that in the post. Hungary, Poland, Czechoslovakia (now the Czech & Slovak Republics) and other non-Cyrillic alphabet countries used Latinate letters instead, but the same acronyms as Russian to eliminate confusion.

I am kind of thrown by the extra “Z”; is it because the Hungarian “S” sylable is “Sz”?
You can barely see the gsz as well because the sticker took off some of the paint when it was removed.

Hans
I was wondering about that. An early 20th century factory that makes cavalry equipment did seem logical. The dictionaries were full of lószer terms but not löszer. What a difference a syllable makes!

This was already explained above. Factory using code 51 is Nitrokémia Ipartelepek, not Nitrokémia Vegyipari. Their facilities are next to each other, both located in Balatonfűzfő. Current name of the powder factory is Rexpro.

Their full geographical locations are:
#21: Bakony Művek - Veszprém city, Veszprém district, Veszprém county, Hungary
#22 Andezit Művek - Jobbágyi village, Pásztó district, Nógrád county, Hungary
#23: Mátravidéki Fémművek - Sirok town, Pétervására district, Heves county, Hungary
#25: Hajdúsági Iparművek - Hajdúhadház town, Hajdúhadház district, Hajdú-Bihar county, Hungary.
#51 Nitrokémia Ipartelepek - Balatonfűzfő town, Balatonalmádi district, Veszprém county, Hungary

1 Like