Hungarian 7.9mm box?

While looking through some empty 7.9x57mm 15 rnd boxes I noticed the imprint on this one. It has a monogrammed AH in a circle and the date 1939. The monogram is similar to that used by Csepel Arsenal of Hungary on their 7.9mm (and other calibers) headstamps and 5 rnd clips. Unfortunately the label is gone. I have never seen a Hungarian 7.9mm box or label. Does anyone have one they can post a picture of? Maybe its just a German maker who just happens to have the same initials.

Reply from Woodin Lab.

“Sure looks like a Hungarian box & clip, w. that monogram”.

Thanks CSAEOD for the reply.
pbutler

Just to clarify, the clip and cartridge did not come from this mystery box and they are just shown to illustrate the similarities between the markings? What era would this box be from? Pre-WWII? WWII? I thought the Hungarians used 8x56R…

AKMS

The “1939” stamped on the box leads me to believe that it is pre-war ;)

[quote=“AKMS”]Just to clarify, the clip and cartridge did not come from this mystery box and they are just shown to illustrate the similarities between the markings? What era would this box be from? Pre-WWII? WWII? I thought the Hungarians used 8x56R…

AKMS[/quote]

Understood.

They previously received various 7.9 weapons from Germany.

The Germans bough from Hungary the Mod. 35 Rifle in Kal. 8 x 57.
It was introduced by the Wehrmacht in Germany as

Nice headstamp! Based on German 9mmP boxes I have seen from WWII era, the box impressed on the cardboard box probably doesn’t have much baring on the date of the ammunition. the German and occupation P08 boxes in my collection have impressed stamps indicating the date the box was manufactured. Some are years earlier than the label. Clearly boxes were reused ince there are many incidents of multiple labels. The bottom label is not infrequently a proof label so the the ammunition was probably used in a gun factory or some other facility and then recycled. Other boxes have only a single label but it is years after the box was made. These could have been boxes that spent years in storage before use, or boxes which were not labeled when originally used (perhaps for some use inside the ammunition factory).

I know this data relates to German, not Hungarian production, but my guess is the 'Allies" used very similar processes. The cartridge cases were apparently produced in 1944. It appears that the 1939 box was either reused for this ammunition or stayed in storage a long time before use.

Hungary had two types of 8mm Mauser cartridges in service in WWII
-8mm 30M. Also referred as 8mm Gebauer. It has round nose bullet, but the diameter of the M98 Mauser cartridge. Used in some early airborne and tank machine guns. The box label should be something similar:
15 drb. 8 mm. Ogiv
Mauser

Thanks to all.
AKMS is correct. The cartridge and charger were shown to illustrate the similarities in the markings

Strakv

Vash

Very interesting Hungarian boxes.

Vince
Thanks a lot for the translation
pbutler

This box from Cspel Arsenal is particularly interesting in that it is printed rather than labeled in the German manner. Your other box implies a German style label.

Yes, you are right. At one time it had a printed label. It could be a German box from a maker who just happens to have the same initials, AH or HA. The box from Csepel Arsenal with stamped information on top has no maker ID that I can find.

pbutler, great picture! thanks.

Liberty

BTT

I have also a german ammo box in my collection.It has the same stamp,but i think it`s german made because this box has the original label. (P181-Hasag, Hugo Schneider A.G., Abteilung Lampenfabrik, Leipzig 05

451kr:

Thank you for the pictures of your box with the AH (or HA) monogram. That pretty well confirms that it is a German box rather than Hungarian.

pbutler

That is interesting.