Hunting, Match, and Old 30.06 Cutaways

Trying to speed things up here so will start with double posts.
First series, left to right:
Super X - Proof - Commercial High Pressure Proof
REM - UMC - Commercial Full Metal Jacket
Western (was expecting tracer, but is not)
30.03 Rem - UMC/ 30/ 1903 - Round Nose Full Metal Jacket
Rem - UMC/ 06 - Commercial Umbrella Point
Western/ Match
FM/ 49 Mexico
2/58/VED/7.62 French

Second Series, Match:
3/09/UMC - Thomas Match (corrosion on bottom of projectile)
FA/30/R - Designated Rifle Round
FA/38/P - Palma Match
FA/I&P - International Palma Match (?)
WRA/ Sprg/ 30.06 - Match
LC/63 Match

Very nice, thanks a lot !!

I&P = International & Palma Matches
30R = rifle annealed case

René

The word “great” is getting used a lot. Great, great, and great!!

Top group, REM-UMC 30-06 is a Brass Point (Bronze Point), not Umbrella Point.

Bottom group, 30R is National Match cartridge, the original Berdan primed NM that was replaced with the Boxer primed Special Match.

38P used the high-pressure test case and primer with a foil collar.

I&P is 1927, 1928, and 1929.

Ray

The I&P load was loaded with Hercules HiVel-2 powder, the standard corrosive military primer, and the 173 grain bullet. The exact powder charge varied with the specific burning characteristics of each Lot of HiVel-2. Velocity was very close to 2200 feet per second and pressure ran between 28,000 and 29,500 psi. The load was developed for the international 300 meter military match shooting of the late 1920s and continued in use through the early 1930s. The load was extremely accurate.

A friend has one of the Hammerli Martini match rifles barreled by Springfield Arsenal in the late 1920s. We have reproduced that load using old 173 grain bullets and an equally old can of HiVel-2 powder. The load is still extremely accurate. The load can be duplicated with any of the present match bullets and 38.8 grains of IMR-3031.

I find the I&P terminology puzzling. The International load was relatively low velocity and low pressure, intended for 300 meter matches. Palma loads are intended for long range matches; 600, 800 and 1,000 yards in stages. Velocity for Palma loads was more than 2700 feet per second and pressures were high. Some Palma shooters used a piece of pipe over the bolt handle for additional leverage to pry the fired cartridge loose. Both loads used the same cases. Only the box label (or weighing a cartridge) would tell them apart.

Waterman

There were several lots loaded with the I&P headstamp. Velocity varied depending on the intended use. Those meant for Palma matches were loaded with IMR 1147, typically around 50 grains which gave a velocity of over 2700fps. The one shown appears to be a Palma load.

International Match cartridges usually have less than 40 grains of HiVel #2.

There was also a 1928 HIGH VELOCITY INTERNATIONAL MATCH load but I don’t have the powder specifics on it. Chris P’s book has a photo of the carton label.

Ray

I can also mention that if the I&P cartridge has an non crimped primer it could be 1927 or 1928; if it has a crimped primer it would be 1929.

Ray, the box illustrated in Chris’ book p. 242 Fig. 639b is the 1929 HV IM (2740 f/s). The 1928 HV IM box -not illustrated- is identical but marked “2775 F/S” (this load is described in p. 241, lower and last paragraph, but a typo shows its velocity as “2,715 f/s”). See also HWS I p. 141.

Regard,

Fede

Ray,

here are some International Match boxes
1928 High Velocity 2775 F/S
1929 High Velocity 2740 F/S
1930 normal ? velocity (nothing mentioned on box) Headstamp is FA 30R

Cheers
René

A few tricks that I’ve learned. - Usually, if you shake an International Match or Palma Match cartridge you can “feel” the powder charge and are able to tell them apart. That doesn’t work with the high velocity International cartridges, obviously. Bullet seating depth is often a clue as well. And, if you learn to recognize the different powders (grain size) you can sometimes ID a cartridge by that alone.

Rene - Very nice boxes. I looked through photos of your other boxes but did not find those. I think you have a lot more boxes than any of us know or can imagine. ;-)

Fede - Excellent points.

Ray