HWS Vol. III publication update list

The publication of Hackley, Woodin, and Scranton, History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition, Volume III, 1946 – 1977 is approaching steadily if slowly. A printer has been selected and all of the elements required for publication are now in place. Four chapters are complete, with drawings and box labels, as are the four Appendices, 12-page Table of Contents, Foreword, Introduction, etc. Five additional chapters are currently in work, and I am pushing this project as hard as I can while still maintaining the authors’ extremely high standards, as shown in Volumes I and II. The format of Volume III will be the same as earlier volumes, and it will be hardbound with a dust jacket featuring some of the late Gene Scranton’s cartridge drawings. In addition to editing the book – about 600 pages, with 838 cartridge drawings and hundreds of rare box labels – I will also publish it. To keep collectors who have impatiently waited 35 years for the book’s publication (Volume II was published in 1978), I have set up an email list of those who would like to be informed periodically of the book’s progress. If you would like to participate, send an email to me at mooneypilot@att.net and I’ll put you on the list. There is no obligation to buy anything. Development of a web site for the book will begin soon.

Excellent news, Mel, keep it coming!

What he said.

Any news on HWS 3 ?

Wow time flies, it’s been over two years since that initial posting. Update would be nice.

joe

OK guys, here’s an update. I just today (15 June '15) completed the first edit of Chapter 21, Unidentified Cartridges, which is the last chapter in the book. Everything else has been done except the Index, which will be a huge job that must wait until the rest of the book is done. There are four Appendices, a Glossary, and a Bibliography plus the introductory pages (Acknowledgements, Table of Contents, Foreword, and Introduction), all of which have been completed. Chapters 1 - 21 alone are 558 pages, and there are 843 figures, many with multiple cartridges. Volume I (Revised) has just 328 pages and Volume II has 297 pages, so you can see (I hope) that this Volume is a monumental work. Even so, I’m optimistic that you will reading your copies in 2015. Stay tuned.

Mel, that sounds good! Thanks a lot for the update!

Good news indeed!
Many thanks to you, and especially the authors themselves for sharing their incredible knowledge.

I am just a bit nervous about the final volume being too massive for convenient use. Not sure if it would be practical to break into two bound volumes (IIIA and IIIB) with continuous page numbers and index only in IIIB, and sold only as a set, even if the additional binding drives the price up some.

The recent Bruce Canfield book on the M1 Garand rifle is 872 pages (Price $95.99) and I find it a pain to use simply due to the weight and bulk.

Of course, I will be grateful for HWS III in any format, and at almost any price, so quit listening to my whining, and get back to being a great editor!

For us young’uns who never got a chance to buy HWS II, will there be a second run of that volume, too?

Absolutely thrilled to hear Vol. 3 is coming along.

Tau; I doubt that there will be a reprint of Volume II, but I acquired the remaining stock of the book from its original publisher just before he closed down. I’m thankful I thought of this before it would have been too late. I will be offering both Volume I (Revised) and its Addendum, plus Volume II and its Addendum with Volume III as sets to those interested. Or, as individual books in case somebody like Tau wants Vol. II but maybe not Vol. I (Revised).

John; I take your point about the size of the book, and we have been thinking about that for a couple of years. There are pros and cons to a thick single book or two thinner parts, but we prefer just one if it is manageable. That would also save a lot of money, more than you might think.

Where’s the “like” button? Really looking forward to Vol. 3!!!

[quote=“Mel”]Tau; I doubt that there will be a reprint of Volume II, but I acquired the remaining stock of the book from its original publisher just before he closed down. I’m thankful I thought of this before it would have been too late. I will be offering both Volume I (Revised) and its Addendum, plus Volume II and its Addendum with Volume III as sets to those interested. Or, as individual books in case somebody like Tau wants Vol. II but maybe not Vol. I (Revised).

John; I take your point about the size of the book, and we have been thinking about that for a couple of years. There are pros and cons to a thick single book or two thinner parts, but we prefer just one if it is manageable. That would also save a lot of money, more than you might think.[/quote]

I already have Vol. I. I’ve been trying to find Vol. II to no avail.

I will send an email, and I will surely buy Vol. III and Vol. II if possible.

Mel…sent you an email!

Where can I sign up to get a copy of Vol. III ?

There’s not a sign-up list to reserve a copy yet per-se, but you can be put on a direct email notification list if you send an email to Mel at: Mooneypilot@att.net and he will email the group with updates, and when & how to purchase it.

I have a related question about Vol.I and II. They came with a add-on separate update booklet, but if the main book says “revised”, does it mean that the info in the separate booklet is already incorporated into the main book, so that the add-on booklet is not needed?

The add-on booklets are addendum’s. The volume II is for volume II but the volume I addendum is for the revised edition of volume I and it covers / corrects and adds to the revised edition so is in fact, need.
There was an addendum to the original volume I, and that was incorporated into volume I revised.

[quote=“DKConfiguration”]
There’s not a sign-up list to reserve a copy yet per-se, but you can be put on a direct email notification list if you send an email to Mel at: Mooneypilot@att.net and he will email the group with updates, and when & how to purchase it.[/quote]

Thanks! Email on the way.

Just got an email from Mel, HWS III is DONE and going to be shipped off to the printers next week. Yeehaw!