HWS Volume III is here (finally)

History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition, Volume III, 1946 - 1977 by Frank Hackley, Bill Woodin, and Gene Scranton is finally here. The first copies of the first printing were delivered to me on New Year’s Eve. What a great start to 2016. Books are available for shipping now. Please see our web site, www.HistoryOfAmmunition.com, for detailed information about the book, a free sample chapter and other sample pages, costs, and shipping.

In addition to shipping now, I will have a large quantity of Volume III, a small quantity of Vols. I Revised and Vol. II (both with their Addendums included at no extra charge), and my Gyrojet book, MBA Gyrojets and Other Ordnance, for delivery at the St. Louis International Cartridge Show (SLICS) 2016, 23-26 March 2016.

This is great news.

Mel has done a superb job (as we all knew he would) editing this monstrous contribution to our historical and technical knowledge contributed by the incomparable research by Bill Woodin and Frank Hackley, and the precise artistry of the the late Gene Scranton.

I can hardly wait for my copies to arrive!

THANK YOU ALL!

Placed my order!

A big THANK YOU to Mel, the authors & contributors! It is almost impossible to fully comprehend the work and effort that went into this reference series.

Brian

Just ordered mine. Thank You Mel, and everyone else involved!

Happy New Year!
Dan

Mel why don’t you get someone to volunteer to take a truck load to the Canadian border to save the poor Canadians the postage? Looks like the government up there is being financed by the Post Office.
Gourd

The cost of shipping to the UK for example is expensive and doubles the price of the book. There is quite probably no way around this but I am wondering whether it would be advantageous to ship a half dozen together and they could then be distributed once in the UK, perhaps at the next Bisley meeting. Is it still possible to send heavy consignments by sea or does everything travel by air these days?

For those in US who are not in a hurry (like me) to get Vol.III, mail your $73 checks to:

Mel Carpenter, PO Box 665, Orange Park, FL 32067-0665,
for $65 USD, plus $8 Media Mail shipping in the U.S.

Yes, sending it to Europe is over-expensive (I don’t even mention customs, the horror…) Is there no possibilty of buying it as an E-book or an electronic copy in PDF, something like the IAA-journal?

You can still get surface mail, it takes about 6 weeks, and as there is 0% vat on printed material, as I under stand it, so Jim if you want to I will send my money to you and we should save some shipping cost! I think it would be to late to get it for Bisley this time around…paul

Dear Mel,

Put one aside for me please, I will pick up in St Louis.

Regards

David Andrew

Mel,
I am very reluctant to ask you to do anything that will add to your workload but in view of Timeout’s comments could you possibly consider researching the cost of shipping copies to the UK via surface mail?

[quote=“Jim”]Mel,
I am very reluctant to ask you to do anything that will add to your workload but in view of Timeout’s comments could you possibly consider researching the cost of shipping copies to the UK via surface mail?[/quote]
As I understand it, they don’t offer surface mail at the U.S. post office anymore. The only thing they ever quote me there on international shipping is airmail for the last few years.

Yes, surface mail went away several years ago.

Media mail might offer some discount?

Can’t on this computer but you could google the USPS site & then see if media mail rates is available for oversea shipping.

According to my local post office worker. No they do not have a media mail for overseas packages.

Okay, thanks for the updates guys, surface mail is obviously not an option! Another possibility for those of us overseas might be to wait until this becomes available via Amazon.com.

FWIW, how about a digital format version of the book?

I’ve recently purchased several books this way, some were on a disc (1 was a mailed from Europe, mailing cost was nominal) and some were sent via email using ‘Drop Box’ to handle large files. These digital copies proved to be VERY cost effective, quick and easy! Granted for a book, such as this, it would be nice to have the actual book in hand, but a digital version would make sales to collectors in other countries much easier and reduce or eliminate mailing/shipping costs.

Brian

Well, the Devil made me chime in here. I don’t understand the concern, speaking as a man retired on Social Security and a very small investment income for the area in which I live (San Francisco Bay Area, a place best suited for the wealthy) about shipping costs on this HWS Volume III. As collectors, we don’t seem to mind dropping a hundred bucks or more on a cartridge that was made in the millions, but has just not hit the surplus market yet, or spending a small fortune going to a cartridge show. Mind you, I have done the former and I miss my annual trip to St. Louis sorely, with my absence not finance related.

Long after the shipping fees and the cost of a book are s gone and forgotten, the wealth of information and the joy a good book gives us is still being explored.

It is just a fact of life today that many things can no longer be purchased at your corner “General Store,” with the internet becoming a major shopping source for many, thus shipping costs. High shipping costs are a fact of life now on everything, thanks to the “air only” policy of the Post Office, and the high cost of operating large trucks and cargo aircraft.

I, too, long for the time when my own city had 7 or 8 gun shops, several of them of major size and accomodation to collectors. We used to, in the store in which I worked, carry 30 or 40 titles of gun books, selected for being quality works. My city now has exactly NO gun shops, and few book stores carry any meaningful representation of those “evil” gun books.

Personally, I grin and bear the postage when I want something for my library or the collection, and if I do it at the time, I pass it by, albeit with regrets.

Well, just my thoughts on the matter. I know they will not be popular, but I have had 55 years of collecting and sixty-three years as a shooter to stop worrying about things that are pretty much beyond our control.

O.K. No I’ll sit down and shut up for awhile.

Mel… have sent a pm, ref the book…paul.

And to take up where John left off…
Most cartridge-related books have a short publishing run, and if you don’t get one when they are available you might never find a copy. And if you are lucky and find one second-hand, you will probably pay pay far more than the original plus shipping. I always consider a book a good investment, or as a gift down the road to encourage a new collector.

Most of us will think nothing of paying $15 to $20 UPS shipping for a single cartridge but balk at $8 for a book? I ordered mine with $13 priority shipping and will be enjoying it that much sooner, for a measly $5 more.

You guys on the other side of the pond - what can I say?

Ray