I am having a couple of problems with the forum

I am having a couple of problems with the forum and don’t know if I am alone in this.

I rarely get notice of new posts when I have ticked the box “Notify me when a reply is posted”. The exception has been the “SLICS 2010” and I have had quite a few e-mails for this thread.

The other problem is more of an inconvenience. I read every post and as they open they are displayed as oldest at the top. So I can scan down the page until I find something new (if there are lots of big photos this can be slow) read it and prepare to move to the next topic. For this I have to go back up to the top of the page in order to click on the “previous topic” or “next topic”. The alternative seemed to be to select “ascending” or “descending” to change the way I view topics. But these selections are at the bottom of the page so I have to scroll all the way to the bottom, select descending, hit go, and all posts flip so the newest is at the top. Now I have to scroll up to the top again to read the new stuff, click on “previous topic” or “next topic” only to find that they are all displayed as “ascending” again! The selection I made a minute ago only held good whilst I was looking at that page. Frankly I cannot see what these selections do for me.

If the “previous topic” or “next topic” buttons were duplicated at the bottom of the page life would be much simpler, is this teensy change possible please?

There is always the chance that I am doing something dumb, if so a little helpful advice would be very welcome.

gravelbelly

GB
I can’t help with some of your issues, but for your “open and scan down” issue, just at the begining of the thread title, there is a small arrow (not the one that’s full left). If you hover your cursor over it you’ll see that, if you click it, that it will take you to the first unread post on that thread.
Hitting your “back” button will take you back to the forum index, if you haven’t posted a new reply, or if you did post a reply the “arrow” next to the back button will let you skip back several pages (IIRC you need to go back 4 pages after posting on a thread)

[quote=“Tailgunner”]GB
I can’t help with some of your issues, but for your “open and scan down” issue, just at the begining of the thread title, there is a small arrow (not the one that’s full left). If you hover your cursor over it you’ll see that, if you click it, that it will take you to the first unread post on that thread.
Hitting your “back” button will take you back to the forum index, if you haven’t posted a new reply, or if you did post a reply the “arrow” next to the back button will let you skip back several pages (IIRC you need to go back 4 pages after posting on a thread)[/quote]

Tailgunner,
With help from your advice I now use the “back” button, then the “view previous post” followed by the “view first unread post”. This routine is much neater and quicker than my old scrolling up and down stuff, thanks for the pointers.

gravelbelly