I am looking for a better way to store my growing collection

I am looking for a better way to store my growing collection.

I love the way some of you (especially pictures I have seen of Pepper’s collection!) use the metal blueprint storage. However I do not have the room(or A room!) to dedicate to large file cabinets or drawer systems. I have my home office to work with and its decor is reminiscent of an old Chicago style cigar bar with lots of dark woods, some dark stones and brown leathers. I would like the storage to be more than just “storage” and rather to compliment the room and the collection.

I need something that will fit on bookshelves. I absolutely love the look of some of these old spool cabinets:

but I have read some of the horror stories of storing cartridges in wood cabinets for long periods of time (how true is this? and is this all woods?)

Another option is metal dental cabinets. I have one like this, but I can not seem to find anymore. Anyone know more about these?

The most functional option I have found is what the majority of my collection is in. These however do not have great aesthetics and I keep over growing them (and they are not very stackable.) What I really love about these is their modularity and how it easily conforms to fit larger cartridges, boxes, or even guns.

Four of these drawers fit in each case.

Whatever system I go with has to be able to easily modulate to fit cartridges, boxes and guns together in one drawer.
Also it has to look good by my hundreds of dollars of decorative books.

Aaron–DO NOT USE SPOOL CABINETS!!! They are almost always made of Oak which is about the worse type of wood as far as causing lead bullets to disintegrate. All the stories you have heard about them being bad are TRUE. Many very expensive cartridges have been lost to Oak cabinets. Any kind of metal drawers are best, but if you must use wood, pick White Pine or Douglas Fir or other non-aromatic soft wood. Stay away from most hard woods or ANY wood that has a turpentine smell to it when cut.

For those metal dental cabinets. you mentioned, try a Wanted Ad on Craig’s List. It is amazing what you can find there. I put a wanted ad on there for Blue Print cabinets and had offers for 6 of them within 48 hours.

Look for old “Kard-ex” filers. Lots of narrow drawers.

Aaron
Obviously I don’t know the layout of your home, but the blueprint cabinets can be setup in most homes without being to obtrusive.
I can tell you that, considering your focus, you will probably be able to fit your entire collection in just 1 or 2 drawers.
The one in the background of this photo is two 4-drawer sections, stacked (and yes, that’s my dining room).

Other “display” options (considering again) might include a metal “machinists” tool chest, with your “spares” stored in those neat plastic boxes your using now.

Another might be the “Dorman” parts drawers you see at the local hardware and automotive parts stores (they store/display specialty hardware in them).

If you like the “plastic” look, what about the multi-drawer “storage bins”? These are also stack-able and re-arrangeable.

If you want to get really serious, you might eventually look into one of these drawer sets:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110506201740&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

This particular one is made of Spanish cedar and not oak. It’s important to avoid oak wood, which most of these style cabinets are made of

I found one nice pine (or some soft wood) spool chest from a quilter friend of mine. It seems like a nice size; I will probably put corrugation perpendicular to the dividers so the cartridges line up horizontally. You can see in the picture the size of the cartridge in comparison with the divides. Any suggestions on best options for corrugation?

Aaron

You’re going to need a bigger boat!!!

Plastic corrugation is the best. Supermarket displays use a lot of it and they usually throw it away when the displays are taken down. Lacking that, try to find some that does not contain a lot of acid. If there is a paper mill near by they can help you, otherwise you’ll have to experiment. Corrugated paper from some countries is very bad. I think they process the pulp in urine. ;)

Ray

The watchmaker’s cabinet you are using should be avoided. The above metal cabinet with the drawer marked “Waterproof Dustproof Crowns” at one time held little glass bottles of watch parts (crowns are the knobs used to wind a watch). The dividers in the drawers could be a BIG problem.

One old friend used a watchmakers parts cabinets like the above and whatever chemical was in the cloth/cardbord ate up his vintage ammo in a rather bad way. This is sad, given that the cabinets otherwise are exactly the right size to hold vintage cartridges.

Aaron…you can’t fail with a metal blue print file (you can work your magic to laminate the face to look wood for the office decor !

used office furniture stores, E-Bay, state college auction disposal sites, Craig’s list…everyone is dumping them…you just have to fight off the crafters looking for them as well.

2-2.5" deep are common…you can hold out for the 1" drawers…and admittedly they (all) are limited when you want to file boxes (tough to find, but there are some 4"-6" file drawers too)

I have some of all…all from auction sites…all repainted…and 100% I prefer the roller bearing drawers (the 1" drawers tend to all be friction sliders…tough when loaded heavy)

(no picture of the 4"+ drawer unit)

Pepper

[quote=“45Auto”]The watchmaker’s cabinet you are using should be avoided. The above metal cabinet with the drawer marked “Waterproof Dustproof Crowns” at one time held little glass bottles of watch parts (crowns are the knobs used to wind a watch). The dividers in the drawers could be a BIG problem.

One old friend used a watchmakers parts cabinets like the above and whatever chemical was in the cloth/cardbord ate up his vintage ammo in a rather bad way. This is sad, given that the cabinets otherwise are exactly the right size to hold vintage cartridges.[/quote]

My dividers are just a soft wood, they are not a plywood or cardboard. Do you still think there could be a problem?