I’d bullet

Recently went metal detecting at an old gun rage operational in the 1940s-1950s found some rifle cartridges and would like some info.
I believe the headstamp is MF 62 7

1. What metal is this bullet made of
  2. What is the common/ most used name for these shells
  3. What years were they produced and by who?
    Pictures attached below

Cheers Hamish

Hamish, yours here is a .303 (7.7x56R) made in 1962 by the factory at Footscray in Australia.
I am sure the other Aussies here will tell you the details.

It might be helpfull if you would mention the country and area where an item was found as that often can contribute (or at least exclude a lot of possibilities) to the ID.

The first picture shows a fired case that was made by the Small Arms Ammunition Factory in Footscray, Victoria, Australia in 1962. It was a Mk 7 .303 British ball round.

The two in the second photo are also .303 British but could be Mk II,or VI. I would need to see the headstamp to give you a conclusive answer. The .303 British is one of the most successful military cartridges, having been introduced in the late 1800’s (1889 IIRC) and still in production for military use into the 1970’s. Commercially it is still made.

For more info visit this site:

You don’t give your location, so it is difficult to say what it common or scarce in your part of the world. Australia ceased production in 1962 and MF produced post WWII .303 is very common and very cheap here. There are some specimens that command higher prices but as always, it depends upon what someone is willing to pay. If it is a particular headstamp that is missing from a collection then that person will be willing to pay more.

They were found in South Australia, the headstamp is from the bullets photos lower.
Do you know what metal the bullet jacket is?

Cheers Hamish

I see Alex has posted whilst I was typing. From the link I posted above “Post WW2 the envelope was generally gilding metal.” Visit the site - it is a very good resource.