I found this cartridge in Hungary, but is it Hungarian, German or Russian?

I found this cartridge in a little village (in a garden right next to an old house) near Budapest, a few centimeters below the surface. I suspect it is from WWII as three armies operated in the area.

I think it could be a 7.62×25mm Tokarev cartridge, a cartridge used for the Tokarev TT-33 pistol and various submachine guns the Russians used during the war. However, perhaps it is a 7.63×25mm cartridge, very similar to the Russian just described cartridge, used for the German Mauser C96 pistol.

I could not discern writing on its base, though maybe it had worn off over time.

I measured it:

Here are its dimensions:

35 mm total length

the case is 25 mm long

the base is 9 mm or 9.20 mm wide

Joe, you are correct. To all I see this is a 7.62x25 TT cartridge.

Could you show us the headstamp?

Thanks EOD.

Here it is. I present two views. I hope you can see something.

One more view.

Hello Joe and welcome to this Forum

Maybe you should try to clean up the head with a soft (copper)brush. Without headstamp I think it should be Russian.

Hi Duqjans, Thanks for the welcome. I think I will try that, and send another picture if there is some improvement. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a Russian round. This is a village near Budapest, exactly in front of the (at least) 175,000-200,000 man invasion force that was sent to take Budapest in late December, 1944 leading to the 50 day siege that only ended in mid_February, 1945. From my reading of a German soldier’s biography who fought on the Eastern Front and personal stories I have heard from East Europeans, it was common for the German army to stay in family houses particularly during cold times. I think it is safe to assume that the Russian army did the same in these villages and for whatever reason, a soldier, probably Russian, dropped this bullet in the back garden of this 1930s house, while staying in the house at some point in the winter of 1944-1945. Whatever the story, really interesting and it certainly brings history to life to find something like that.

Joe, as dugjans said, please try to clean it up.

Also keep in mind that the Germans also used plenty of captured material including such cartridges.

Yes, you are right about that EOD, the use of the captured material. I will try to get that cleaned up and a picture put on here tomorrow if successful. I will let you know.

Hi Gentlemen,

I’m sorry I wasn’t able to post a picture yesterday. I tried to clean up the headstamp area. It does appear that there were three (and possibly four markings; a fourth one is just barely discernable.) It would have made a square shape of four markings in total but I decided to stop as nothing was legible. I am not even sure if those were originally the markings…but perhaps seeing where the markings seem to have been might help. Were Russian markings in those precise positions for their WWII 7.62x25 TT cartridge headstamp? As an additional question, do I have to take any special care with this in terms of safety. Probably in it’s deteriorated condition it represents no danger, but I have heard stories of old rounds that were dropped and the round going off. 20190813_165912|690x388

That’s an ugly one, but 4 place headstamps were pretty common for wartime Soviet TT cartridges.
The only danger I can think of might be legal…depending on your location.

Thanks for your answer. Ha, ha. Well it has been in the ground for almost 75 years. I guess it came here when the Eastern Front reached the vicinity of Budapest.

You may clean it up well with very fine BRASS wool. Brass will not damage the headstamp. Do not use steel wool, it will damage the cartridge.

Thanks sksvlad. Much appreciated.