I think SFM's Dummy-making Dept. went a little overboard!

SFM’s dummy making department definitely had too much free rein!

Here are 110 examples (maybe there will be better pictures of all these in the future…) of different pinfire dummys made by and for SFM.

Though some look similar, they are all different:
They used 1,2,3,4, or 5 holes; different sized holes, different placement of holes.
They used either nothing, or a fuzzy fiber mesh, or a piece of wood inside.
There are a couple different headstamps and a couple different case materials represented.

Any way to place which ones went to certain cartridge boards, or salesmen sample sets, etc?

Nice group, very nice group.

I think 1st SFM drilled the center hole for the sale samples or “function” (not sure that is the right term?) dummies. Then if to go on a board 4 (or more) more holes, unless a small sized cartridge where only two more holes would suffice.

Often a wood rod or wood distance piece is used to support the bullet from moving down into the case mouth, which may or may not be used in these ?

I think these examples you show were made over a long period of time. Usually a jig would be set up to allow quick and proper placement of the holes. Once that batch was done the jig was retired/ disassembled/ filed away & lost? So different times probably different jigs & thus hole placement.

I’ve seen the same sort of system for their center fire cartridges.

The only way to place them to a board or sample set would, I think be an eye-ball comparison.

Some of the center fire used small/fine wood chips as filler.

SFM is famous for this. Phil Regenstreif, years ago at my house, discussed this since in a couple of calibers I had in my own collection, and had seen, far more dummy rounds in a specific caliber than I had live rounds. He said that was not uncommon at all. At one time, SFM probably made a lot of boards. I have two little ones that are slightly different printings, but basically the same.
I thought at one time they were old - pre-WWII, when I just had one. But then I got an identical one save for one caliber of ammunition, and that was a pistol cartridge/caliber replaced by a .222 Remington (factory done - the printing of the caliber on the basic board is factory. I guess it was the copper-cased .22s on the board that made me think they were old.