IAA JOURNAL and FORUM

In the course of doing some recent research, I got a lot of use out of my DVD of back issues of the JOURNAL and it’s predecessors, particularly the years from 1955 to 1975. Even though I had searched the DVD for different articles in the past, this is the first time I have gone through an entire sequence of issues, page by page. I was amazed at the wealth of information that I “discovered”. Not just information about cartridges, but the history of the organization from it’s beginnings, names of the pioneers, most of whom are long since gone, and some, such as a young John Moss, who are still kicking. Values and prices from 50 years ago. What members considered collectable compared with today. Things that we know today that they were only beginning to undersatnd. It’s all there.

What is even more amazing is that these issues of the CARTRIDGE TRADER were put together, literally, by hand. Text was hand typed. No photos - each illustration was hand drawn. One article by Captain Lewis Curtis contained nearly 500 different headstamps for the 9mm Para, each meticulously hand drawn. That is real dedication to your specialty!

Everyone should get one of the DVDs. I’ll bet you’ll use it often. And, I’ll bet that you’ll get down on your knees and thank guys like Chris Punnett for todays JOURNAL and the Administartors and Moderators who make this Forum possible.

Humble opinion by Ray

Credit does go to the pioneers (and those that had the audacity :) to suggest scanning in the historical journals)!

Many deserve credit, and most all, would slough it off, as they were just chasing their passion.

It was nice of you to acknowledge the “old guys” (the old farts !)

Many, many, have passed on and I can only hope that they are pleased that the hobby lives on (and have room to turn in their graves as they see what has come of cartridge prices!)

The old guys were great to me when I attended my first show (26 years ago…as a 31 y/o kid) and hope I share the same passion with other “youngsters” who come along.

Might we toast those guys who were crazy enough to think a club could exist of “cartridge collectors”…and live on for some 56 years +