IAA Journal Issue 454

There was some discussion in an earlier post regarding issue 454. It is a good one, even if it was delivered all over in Europe before many of us got it here in the States - well worth the wait. The writeup on the “Swiss Machinengewehrmarkiergerat”, one of several very informative articles, really got my attention. While it is fairly straightforward how the belted blank cartridges feed through the ‘machine’ by means of the large sprocket, what has me stumped is how it actually fires the cartridges. The only explanation I can come up with is that perhaps the cartridges have been positioned incorrectly in the photo that shows the Swiss cross headstamps of the cartridges as they are being pulled onto the sprocket, and that the firing mechanism is actually back behind the sprocket. In other words, rather than seeing the heads of the cartridges in the picture, is it possible that we should actually be looking the the crimped mouths of the cartridges?

Guy

You are right the cartridges have been positioned incorrectly in the photo that shows the Swiss cross headstamps of the cartridges.
I have done that so you can see the Swiss cross on the photo.
Gyrojet