IAA Journal Issue 456 (July/August)

The above issue is about to be printed.

In the issue, for your reading pleasure and education, is a history of Grenfell & Accles with some of the cartridges they produced. You can find out why IAA members are being cautioned about riding the St. Louis Arch cable cars. Paul Smith has cut up some pretty “arcane” ammunition. There’s some Soviet underwater & rocket ammunition you can test in the bath tub. Learn all about the Canadian Confederation train and the .303 dummy cartridge made just for it. Special Russian 9mm Parabellum loads are presented by Lew. Ever heard of a US expendable paper machine gun belt ?? This issue’s color centerfold has, amongst other things, pictures of completely nude, un-retouched shotshell boxes, powder tins, top wads, flobert tins, and a Peregrine Falcon (with feathers)!! That guy from Arizona does another bit on baby-booming benchrest ‘bullets’. A report on the St. Louis show with photos of some of the attendees. Experimental aluminum 7.62 NATO links from Herbie Woodend’s collection. If you are having difficulty with the menu in your local Chinese restaurant

Chris

I can’t hardly wait.

You know, if you’d simply expand your post to a few pages there’d be no reason to go to all that expense of printing and mailing. :) :)

Ray

Chris, I’ll try not to drool on my keyboard!

Dude, you do SUCH a nice job with The Journal - it is a CLASS publication. It is always a welcome sight in the mailbox. Thank you so much for all your hard work on our behalf!

I agree BIG TIME! Thanks Chris!

With that teaser, how can anyone not join the IAA???

MORE MONEY FOR CHRIS !

Ray–For what it is worth, one of the proposed things for the future is a choice of getting the Journal by electronic means or hardcopy.

We are currently testing the eJournal distribution with a test group. Last night I sent material and the eJournal to our webmaster to test a method of distributing it from the website. The IAA board has decided that the Journal will be offered in 2008. The IAA membership with the eJournal will be $25/year worldwide!!!
If you had an eJournal membership you would receive your Journal in the next day or two!!!

Cheers, Lew

Hard to muse over the eJournal while relaxing on the flushable throne. Those notebook computers get hot on the bottom and burn your knees.

[quote=“Lew”]We are currently testing the eJournal distribution with a test group. Last night I sent material and the eJournal to our webmaster to test a method of distributing it from the website. The IAA board has decided that the Journal will be offered in 2008. The IAA membership with the eJournal will be $25/year worldwide!!!
If you had an eJournal membership you would receive your Journal in the next day or two!!!

Cheers, Lew[/quote]

POST SOME PAGES AND LET’S HAVE A LOOK AT IT.

My post to C.P. was half tongue-in-cheek and half serious. I know that many are working toward an electronic format for the JOURNAL. But I will still want my hard copy. How else can I preserve my humble writings for my grand and great grandchildren? Printouts from my HP 6500? Just not the same.

Ray

Ray–You will still have the choice of Electronic or Hardcopy.
The main reason it is being offered is to make it more cost effective for the overseas members and less expensive for the IAA. Hopefully with the increased speed in them getting the Journal plus the lower cost, we will pick up more members from outside of the U.S.

I think that I take both versions in future.

Good idea for you but defeats the purpose for the IAA. NOT sending the hard copy to Europe(or anyplace) seems to be the aim.

I like both and as a HARDCOPY life member I would pay to subscribe to the eJournal to get the info in a timely manner as well. There is some new money for the club. Give the lifers a discount on the eJournal and most will start paying again I think.

The hardcopy will arrive when it does but in the meantime it is worth some bucks a year to see what is new in print.

I am a life member, but plan to also pay $25 per year for the eJournal! Anyone is welcome to subscribe to either the print Journal or the eJournal or both! Both overseas and US/Canadian postage keeps going up, as do print costs, Print Journal rates go up in 2008 and could increase again in the future-that is a decision for a future IAA Board. The eJournal is designed for those who don’t want to pay the increased postage and printing costs!

A discount to life members would be more attractive.

EJournal contant and format is identical to the hard copy. It is in .pdf format (same as the digital version of the old Journals available on CD or DVD) and can be searched/cut/pasted in the same way. You can print out selected portions or the whole thing and it willlook just like the hard copy you get in the mail.
Biggest drawback is the size of the file- about 3.5 to 4.5 MB which will take a LONG time to download. (Of course maybe the boss at work will let you download on their super high speed connection and copy it to a thumb drive to take home…)

Sounds like a lot of ink cartridges and printer time at home.

• All I want is my hard-copy of the IAA Journal for which I’ll pay how much I have to. The e-Journal is a good idea in many ways but this version cannot replace [in my opinion] a hard-copy. Soon or later any electronic device has problems and will fail when you expect less, not to mention the cost of it and the nerveracking. Maybe I’m an old fashion guy but I know for sure that I’m not the only one. Liviu 06/22/07