IAA Price Guides

Is anyone else here confused when these come out?
I do appreciate that it’s a volunteer effort, and nobody knows all cartridges and values, but I really can’t understand where some of these prices come from.
An example from the newest list: 7.7x56R Japanese Dummy…$20.00.
Has anyone ever seen one outside of the Woodin collection, or seen one for sale, especially for $20???
I applaud the effort, but I don’t understand the process or the product.

jonnyc
Are you sure it is 7,7+56 and not 7,7+58 Japanese Dummy
Sherryl

Yes, very sure. Do you get the journal? If not, you should.

jonnyc
Yes I get the journal,are you refering to the type 92 wich comes with groove and rim??
it is also known as SR but still 58mm.If I am wrong please enlighten me wich that one is
I simply cannot find anything regarding 56
Sherryl

No, the Japanese also produced the 7.7x56R (also known as the Brit. 303) for aircraft MGs. They made a number of different loadings, including a VERY RARE dummy. The only one I’ve ever “seen” was a pic Bill Woodin sent to me a few years back. I would gladly pay many times $20 for one, but be very upset if I ever sold one for that amount.

Jonnyc
Thank you yes I feel a bit like a fool I had totally forgotten the Japanese 303 I have
several of them myself if you would have put 303 in a bracket I would have known
instantly what it was about,yes and I do remember now a while back someone
if I remember right showed such a dummy in the journal and like you I made a
mental note of it.Ya would be nice to get one
Sherryl

Jonnyc
PS.If I remember right that loading was strictly made for the Japanese Navy but not sure
Sherryl

Jon
the only thing I an think of is when this was originally put together it was the thought that as the others are worth 20 bucks this one should be too.
I have been asked (in the past) to help edit / provide updated prices for the list & found things not covered or things that were worded wrong & thus be an item that duplicated another item already covered.

So e-mail John with the correction & your suggestions as to how it should be listed. They do ask for feedback.

PS I looked don’t have one in my probably small 42 round collection of Japanese made .303". Never looked at Bill’s.

jonnyc, do you mean the wooden Japanese 7.7x56r drill round.

For $20 you can look and stroke it :-) I would not sell mine but if I did it would be a great deal more than $20

Rich

2 Likes

sherryl you are correct the type 89 was designed exclusiveley for the Japanese Navy, it was used in Aircraft and Naval machine guns. Remember this is a direct copy of the British .303 MkVII round, The tracer, AP and incendiary rounds are also direct copies of the British designs Supplied to them by Kynoch after WW1

Richard

Rich, I actually forgot about that variation, but as you know, that is also super rare. Bill W. had one with a CN jacket and knurled brass case, similar to other types of Japanese rifle dummies.

jonnyc
Do you know if there are any photos of that type, i have never seen one

thanks
Richard.

I’ll try to dig it up.

Aaron,
I am still having problems. Should I be using my password from the last Journal or some other password.
Is my email address my user name?

I have been unable to log in. I am on Google Chrome and use Gmail. The instructions I find on the IAA website are of little help. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place

Cheers,
Lew