ID 2 cartridge

Hello,
I need help with these two cartridges

1: .30-40 Krag.
Is it model 1898?
Type of projectile? Guard? Riot? Short range?
Do you have any special designation?

2: .44-77 Remington-Sharp?
Is that designation correct?
U.S.S.Co.?

Thanks in advance!
Martin

Martin,

The .30-40 Krag is a Frankford Arsenal case for a Gallery Practice Cartridge with 107 gr. lead bullet. It has been re-primed with a Winchester primer and loaded with a lead bullet that appears close to but not quite the original Frankford Arsenal bullet. When these cases are stained near the mouth it usually indicates the case was fired at some point.

Randy .

Howdy Martin
The right case looks to be a .44-77 Rem or Sharps but the bullet should be paper patched and probably heavier guessing at the OAL cartridge length with a 77 gr. powder charge
The case I have no idea. The dish around the primer pocket is unlike any E.Remington or USCCo product I’ve seen & have no idea who could have made it

Thanks Rand and Pete.
I appreciate the information.

Martin

The one on the right might also be a .43 Spanish. It and .44-77 are VERY close in dimensions and as Pete noted, the rounded head would appear to be E. Rem or U.S.C.Co.
Most .43 Spanish are found with naked lead bullets.

Randy

Is the crimp in the neck standard for the Gallery Practice rounds?

Yes, it is.

1 Like

That crimp made it possible to feed the cartridges through the magazine, but probably to the detriment of accuracy. More than 20 years ago, a friend and I reproduced the load, using hand-cast lead bullets from a mould from the early 1900s. Without the crimp, the load is surprisingly accurate.

1 Like

This prompted me to think about how many Krag cartridges have neck cannelures. There are more than a few!
KRAG NECK CANNELURES .pdf (40.1 KB)
KRAG NECK CANNELURES 2.pdf (38.8 KB)

Randy

Randy,
But this projectile (apparently UMC) appears to be larger than the Frankford Arsenal.
Is 107 gr. too?

Thanks.
Martin

Martin

The Winchester and UMC Short Range bullets weigh 100 grains.

Randy

Excellent Randy,
thank you very much.

Martin