ID .22 LR headstamps

I have two .22 LR cases which was found in the ground. They was fired before 1945. Both made of copper or tombac. I think that cartridges was made by Birmingham Metal and Munitions Co, am I correct?

Hi Treshkin.
The impressed B is definately Birmingham Metals and Munitions Co. I have a loaded round and a board dummy by them with exactly the same headstamp.
The Raised B on the otherhand is a new one to me. I have not seen that one before and have never seen a raised headstamp by BMM&Co. That doesn’t mean they didn’t make it, just that I haven’t seen one before. Since I am in Canada, that’s not suprising. However, I do have a good collection of English .22’s.
Where abouts did you find them (general area, not too specific)?

Cheers,
Will Adye-White

Could/might be a product of Leon Beaux, Milan, Italy of the late '30’s. M.Rea

[quote=“powdertin”]Hi Treshkin.
The impressed B is definately Birmingham Metals and Munitions Co. I have a loaded round and a board dummy by them with exactly the same headstamp.
The Raised B on the otherhand is a new one to me. I have not seen that one before and have never seen a raised headstamp by BMM&Co. That doesn’t mean they didn’t make it, just that I haven’t seen one before. Since I am in Canada, that’s not suprising. However, I do have a good collection of English .22’s.
Where abouts did you find them (general area, not too specific)?

Cheers,
Will Adye-White[/quote]

The cases was found in Ukraine near Kharkow city at the area where was an old village and german trenches of WWII. There was also cases and cartridges made by RWS and DWM (brass and steel) with headstamps:

So the B-headstamps could be of the Carist Russia era (before 1917) or fired by German officers before 1943.

That throws a new light onto the matter. I had assumed they came from England somewhere. The impressed B is still BMMCo, and probably 1st war or earlier. The raised B could be anyone, although I would suspect it’s from Europe. I know nothing of the Czarist rimfire production, and had alway assumed that they had imported most of their .22 needs. Perhaps someone can educate me on this?
Braun & Bloem is a name that comes quickly to mind. However, I have never seen them use the single B. I do have Flobert rimfires with the single B headstamp, and was adised that they had come off a Bishweiller cartridge board. However, I have no way of confirming that. Still and interesting round even though it’s fired. If only our specimens could talk…

[quote=“powdertin”]That throws a new light onto the matter. I had assumed they came from England somewhere. The impressed B is still BMMCo, and probably 1st war or earlier. The raised B could be anyone, although I would suspect it’s from Europe. I know nothing of the Czarist rimfire production, and had alway assumed that they had imported most of their .22 needs. Perhaps someone can educate me on this?
Braun & Bloem is a name that comes quickly to mind. However, I have never seen them use the single B. I do have Flobert rimfires with the single B headstamp, and was adised that they had come off a Bishweiller cartridge board. However, I have no way of confirming that. Still and interesting round even though it’s fired. If only our specimens could talk…[/quote]

I agree that this headstamp could be Europian. I didn’t met no one Rusian carist era headstamp. And the style of this B headstamp don/t looks like Russian.