ID: electric primed 5.6x52 "WCC 54" .22 Simplex

Again an ID request.
Here for a 5.6mm (or something alike: .22, .223, 5.56mm).
Case length is 51.6mm and head diameter is 11.9mm. I assume it to be a necked down 7.62x51 (or one of its predecessors?).
OAL is 66.5mm. The unusual part here is the electric primer with a green insulation. The FMJ proj. is magnetic. Weight is unknown as the cartridge was drilled.
HS reads: WCC 54

I tried to find it in HWS 3 but was unable to do so without reading the whole book.
Anybody to give a quick reference?

EDIT:
Thread title ammended to reflect ID given during the discussion below.

Cal. .22 Simplex Cartridge look at my Sale #17 lot 278 for another variation or Hackley Vol. III under the SALVO chapter

EOD
I have 2 of those the one you show wich is electric primed and the stampWCC 54
The other is the same only has a red annulus and the stamp is WCC 55
Huon is listing these as 22Cal Nato I am sure they belonged to the Experimental variety
If you want pics I will send them
Sherryl

Pete, HWS is giving the Simplex with FA headstamps and no mention of the electric primer.
So I assume the one here must be something else.

Sherryl, sure, it would be great to see the 2 rounds you have.

EOD
Your request is granted,here they are
Sherryl

This is the .22" Homologous.

Yes Jim but there is the 18 Nato 25and 27 all of wich damn I do not have
have a few other but than these are not easy to obtain.
Sherryl

Alex, on the site http://www.cartrology.com/cartridges/172 the note says:

From box marked .22 HOMOLOGOUS ELECTRIC PRIMED FOR TEST 3-02301

I was not able to find anything further about “Test 3-02301”

The cryptic word homologous refers to the outer bullet shape being scaled down (or up) from another caliber. For example, the .223 cal 68 gr bullet was homologous to the .30 cal 173 gr M1 bullet, having the same 7 caliber ogive radius and 9 degree boattail.

Jim and all others, where in HWS 3 is this described - page no?

Thank you madam! :)

Also found this on http://www.cartridgecollector.net/22-homologous-project-salvo:

This specimen was loaded with an electric primer. The primer was a scaled down version of the 20mm M52A3 primer developed by Olin for these tests. These rounds were loaded to control the interval between individual shots.

There is no reference listed on the site above. I have two of the Project SALVO Field reports, but the electrically primed ammunition does not seem to be mentioned in either of the reports I have.

HWS Vol. III page 294-296, entry Cal. .22 Simplex
Homologous is, incorrectly I believe, explained on page 293.

Jochem, thanks a lot! The Simplex must be it then as all given data in HWS 3 fits this round.

See a box label for this on pg 296 left col. 4th paragraph

This round has been called a number of things before HWS III came out. Some of the boxes are labeled Homologous so that is where that came from. That and the other names like NATO, for this were early & not official.
here are a few variations

I think in Vol. III the explaination for the word homologous was how the folks at Olin related to this, and so is correctly explained. It wasn’t as such, a technical term, but an informal way of relating to the series.

From the dictionary on my MAC
homologous |hōˈmäləgəs; hə-|
adjective
having the same relation, relative position, or structure, in particular
• Biology (of organs) similar in position, structure, and evolutionary origin but not necessarily in function : a seal’s flipper is homologous with the human arm. Often contrasted with analogous .
• Biology (of chromosomes) pairing at meiosis and having the same structural features and pattern of genes.
• Chemistry (of a series of chemical compounds) having the same functional group but differing in composition by a fixed group of atoms.

Pete, thanks a lot for the image. Very good reference to see all the variations!

No I don’t think all the variations, a long way from all.

Ok, maybe not all as for the entire subject but quite a lot for somebody in remote Europe. Still much appreciated.

This round is covered on pages 295 and 296 of HWS Vol. III. A drawing is shown as Fig. 363. The electric primer version is discussed on page 296 with a box label of the electric variation shown on that page.

Pete,
with all due respect to HWS and the Olin people, there are clear definitions what homologous in ballistics means (see for example AD-A055521, BEHRNS, Methodology for Selecting Small Arms Rounds to Match Military Requirements, page A-6ff).
Because .30 Light Rifle cases of nearly unchanged volume were used, we are obviously not dealing with homologous cartridge cases (case volume to bore volume would have to be constant). In my view only thing left is the homologous bullet interpretation I mentioned.