ID help = 76mm recoilless rifle

I was contacted a while ago asking for help to ID and unknown piece of inert/empty ordnance. To me it looks like some kind of mortar or fin stabilized HEAT round of some type. Thew part that is so puzzling to me is the it has a flat, forward facing, screw off lid? Something I have not seen before. Anyone have any thoughts? Copying his e-mail provided information. Unfortunitky, he does not have the easy ability to obtain more photos.

Jason

“Way back in September, I emailed you asking if you could help me identify a round I found. At that time I only had two pictures of it. You suggested that I get more and if I sent them to you you’d see if it provided more information for you. It’s been a while since September but I sort of had to ride out the pandemic…as did you too I’m sure. So, here are more pictures. Base dimensions are projectile is 75MM in diameter and the whole round is 18 1/2 inches long. There are absolutely not markings anywhere. Any help/guesses/thought that you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I thank you very much for your help. Stay well.”

IMG_2975 IMG_2977 IMG_2978 IMG_2980 IMG_2981

IMG_2983

Looks to be a 90mm RR Heat.

1 Like

Close, 76mm. Mine is a proof, yours may not be heavy enough. Otherwise, they look very close. No stamped markings on the body?

1 Like

PROOF cartridges - #67 by USSubs see #67/84. Mine does not have the groove that this one has.

1 Like

Super similar, except some stabilizer boom differences. The body looks pretty much identical. Is your a mortar proof or gun barrel fired?

Thanks you so much!

Jason

Thanks, Captain!

This one is 75/76mm at its greatest width dimension. Appreciate your thoughts a lot!

Jason

Is that the dimension of the fin? If so that fins would sit in the case, which would be larger. It looks pretty much identical to the 90mm RR heat round but a bit smaller. Us subs may be correct as a proof round

ap90

2 Likes

76mm recoilless rifle

2 Likes

So fantastic! Thank you all so much for your time and help. Super grateful! Just so awesome!

Jason
PS: KAPTAIN, the 76mm is at the widest part of the main body mass, not the fin assembly. Thanks so much.

1 Like