ID help copper projectile

Hi folks,
I picked up this copper jacket projectile from an antique shop. Height is 167mm (6.6"), width 69mm (2.72"), width inc drive band 71.5mm (2.81"). It is hollow as a money box size notch has been cut into the bottom and the lead melted out? I presume it is WW1 era but unsure why it is copper jacketed rather than steel, might it predate tank armour? Anti-aircraft but no fuse? No markings so any help much appreciated.
Cheers

Maybe it was manufactured for just what it is… a bank? Seen many odd coin banks at shops and sales - they were quite the fad pre-WWII. Still are to some extent… Does it appear there had been a lead (or other metal) core, or is the inside clean and shiny? (assuming you can see through an access to get the coins out).

1 Like

This seems to be a desktop ornament or thelike.

1 Like

A photo of the “projectile” base may help.
I vote trench art piece.

Brian

1 Like

Here is a photo of the base, does not unscrew and would be pretty difficult to try and shake the coins out again if it were intended as a moneybox.

And the brass tip…

Thanks for the additional photos.

Definitely a nice form of Trench Art!
Removing any coins from the bank would require desoldering the copper base disc.

Below are some example photos of trench art, in this case these are lighters:

Here is one of the above lighters with the cap removed:
Trench Art lighter example

These photos are from https://www.flickr.com/groups/2081323@N23/pool/with/8881922852/.
I highly recommend checking out the link as it is an EXCELLENT photo display of Trench Art.

Brian

Regarding the use as a coin bank, it is not all that hard to remove coins via the slot. By inserting a stiff piece of shim stock or something similar half way through the slot, rolling the bank about its axis with the slot down allows coins to align flat on the shim and slide out through the slot.

Dave

1 Like

Ah, sounds like you might have done that before DaveE?