ID help needed 3

Yep. Me again. 232 board dummy. HS:232 34 P S* Looks like an asterisk.

Rookie

That should be a German 7.9 Platzpatrone, made by Polte in 1934, lot number 232. Case is made of brass with 72% copper, indicated by the asterisk. Can you post a picture?

Photos?

“232” is the case-lot number, and not a designation of caliber or anything else on this cartridge. It means the case was from the 232nd manufacturing lot of 1934, at Polte.

John Moss

Thought I had posted the picture. Will post picture, if acceptable, and dimensions.
Thanks,
Rookie

Hi All,
My bad, I thought I had posted the picture and assumed the 232 was a caliber I was not familiar with. OAL: 3.16, CL: 2.238, Rim: .466, Base: .446, LIp: .35, Bullet: .324232 board dummy

That looks to be a Chrome plated Werkzeug. A combination gauge and dummy.
You should be able to see a spring inside the case?

Also another comment on photography.

Lay the cartridge on it’s side & photograph it so the lens is at the case mid-point. that way the shape of it is not distorted.

You don’t need a photo studio to follow JPeelen’s advise.

Can’t see in case very well but there is something in there rattling around.

Yes, I do agree with Pete. This is a fine example of the German Schwere Exerzierpatrone (Werkzeugpatrone) in 7.9. And according the headstamp it should be the third version, made between 1934 and 1939. Rattling? Then the inside spring probably cracked. This is something completely different from a Platzpatrone I mentioned earlier. Very nice case. And a (good) picture is always very useful!

https://cartridgecollectors.org/cmo/cmo08apr.htm

Paul Smith sectioned example.

Thank you

Very neat. Thank yoy

What is the purpose of the spring?

To hold the bullet in place. It’s a steel spring so you can use a magnet to be sure as the case is brass-made. Later versions (1939-1943) have a rod of “magnewin”, an alloy of magnesium and aluminium that fits in the extended bullet. From 1943 on, the Germans used some kind of plastic for this rod and a steel case in their need to economise on precious and strategic materials.