ID of 35mm / cal.1 "oil rocket" by Behr

I came across a commercial entry of the German company “Behr’s Industrie-Gesellschaft m.b.H.” in Suhl (Thuringia). Supposed date is 1906.
The company made signal pistols in caliber 35mm (with bridge swivel barrel lock - sorry for probably using the incorrect English term) what I assume to be cal.1 but I am not 100% sure.
Besides normal signalling and illuminating cartridges there is also an “oil rocket” mentioned. Unfortunately without any further explanation for it’s use or purpose.
The only additional info is that the “oil rocket” (cartridge with rocket propelled projectile) has a tracer for better observability at night and that the rocket is fired at an angle of 5° (signal cartridges are given with 90°).

Has anybody ever seen such a cartridge or can explain what exactly this “oil rocket” was?
Has somebody ever seen the regular signal cartridges from this company? Cases were made in brass and aluminum.

Here the gun:
hermann-historica.de/auktion … at65_s.txt

The image here shows the projectile only. Why it was depicted without the case is a bit difficult to understand.

I edited the last sentence in the message above since the image is showing only the projectile without the case.
I got misslead in my earlier statement.

Alex, the purpose of this “oil rocket” is very unusual; it was made for calming agitated waters as a mean of survival when sailing. This is an acient practice that originated the expression “pour oil on troubled waters” (an attempt to calm a problematic situation).

An utility model registration was filled by Burkard Behr on December 17, 1900.

I have never seen an example or pictures of it.

Regards,

Fede

Fede, somehow I knew you would come up with some info! Thanks!

So what is the effect of oil on “troubled waters”?
And in which situations was it used to achieve what exactly?

Oil has a “magic” effect on water and can be effectively used to prevent a vessel from sinking.

Here is a nice article on the subject: en.wikisource.org/wiki/Popular_ … lm_the_Sea

I’m sure Greenpeace loves the idea.

Fede, thanks again! I will study the article in a quiet moment. As with so many things I have never heard of this before!
Again a view widening side effect of studying ammo - what else can be better?

Greenpeace? Yeah, if the ship in distress is a Greenpeace vessel the crew’s view may change within seconds. And if not - also good!!! A typical win-win situ for the world.

So is this still used/done today?

Alex, “Öl auf die Wogen gießen” (for the others: “pour oil on troubled waters” is a German idiom).

Jochem, yes, and it never made sense to me in the past!
Now it changed.

I don’t know who was the first to apply this idea to a projectile, but several patents were granted in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. Below you can see a drawing of a cartridge tested by the U.S. Life-Saving Service (a predecessor of the Coast Guard) that was designed by Albert H. Walker of Hartford, Connecticut. For more information read US patent No. 390,729 of 1888.

Fede, thanks! I think this is predating Behr who in his early days lived at the Bodensee (Stuttgart in 1898, Hamburg in 1904-1906) and only later set up his company in Suhl (if I am not mistaken around 1907-1909?).
He also lived in Russia (at least in 1898) which had adopted his 35mm flare pistol from 1906-1908. In 1918 he was back to Germany (Oberneuland near Bremen).