ID of strange 7,63x25 box/rounds

Member of a forum I frequent posted this in in the cartridge collection section. Neither he or I can figure this one out… any help?
Non-magnetic, no headstamp. The clip is not marked.

The label reads
“20 Cartriges bore 7.63 mm
for
Mauser Pistol
Mantled bullet.”

Notice the misspelling of “cartriges”, and the strange use of “bore” and “mantled” - “mantel” meaning “jacket” in several north European languages…
There is also the use of . in 7.63, instead of the 7,63 I would expect to see.

Any ideas?
Ole

My vote is for Belgian. Jack

1 Like

My first thought was Brit., but Belgian is also a good possibility.

1 Like

Yes, use of “Bore” is typically British.
What is headstamp?
Doc AV

1 Like

I find it difficult to believe that a Briton would use “mantled” for a jacketed bullet.
Mantel for jacket is used in Dutch and German. The ammunition/arms manufacturers of Belgium seem to be located in the mostly French speaking areas of Belgium. They would not tend to use “mantled” for “blindee” in my view.
From the use of bore I get the impression that some non-English speaker looked up calibre in an ordinary dictionary and selected the wrong alternative.
Very confusing to me is the use of the decimal point (7.63) on the label, because in Dutch and German the comma is used (7,63). This notwithstanding, my bet is on Dutch or German origin.

1 Like

Thank you all for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming in case we find a consensus…
It was mentioned on the other forum that these might be related to Finland in some way but I’m not sure how it’d be connected myself.

Doc: the cases have no headstamps. Neither are there any markings on the clips.

As Jay says, “mantel” is used in Germanic languages (it’s also used in Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish).

Ole